A8N32-SLI or CPU Dead?

Associate
Hi,

The problem is a non-posting non-beeping PC after going away on hols and unplugging everything from the mains, then replugging and turning on when back home.

As in my previous post about this mobo I'm starting to narrow down where the problem is. I've tested my Ram on my old P4 system with memtest and it's fine, GFX card has been tested at work and is fine, that leaves me with the mobo and the CPU. I cannot test the CPU anywhere so this is why i'm posting here.

Would a dead CPU stop the Mobo beeping at all and give the no post behaviour like I am seeing?

Anyone who's had a dead CPU might be able to answer this one.

Fire.. :confused:

A8N32-SLI
AMD 4000 SanDiego
BFG 7800GT
2GB CORSAIR 3500LL TWINX PRO
ENERMAX LIBERTY (500w)

Associate
OP
Cob said:
Do the fans spin? And have you cleared the CMOS and switched the battery for one that definitely works?

Fans spin, everything starts up as normal except the monitor doesn't switch on (screen tested elsewhere and works fine) and the PC doesn't beep or do anything like post/boot. CMOS was cleared many times, the last time was overnight with battery out and the PSU disconected also. Not sure on the battery state although this can be checked, but with a flat battery shoudln't I still get a post even though it wont remember the altered Bios settings?

Fire.. :confused:

Associate
Even a dud battery would complete the circuit, even if it did require the battery in.

What about soundcard? or do you have onboard sound?

The only times I had a promlem like this was first when my 9800 pro died, second time when my AGP slot gave out, and finally when i tried to plug in a soundcard that didnt work.

Have to tried taking all of your components out (leaving in MOBO, CPU and RAM) and connecting them one by one to see what gives you trouble?

Associate
OP
Merlinbadman said:
Even a dud battery would complete the circuit, even if it did require the battery in.

What about soundcard? or do you have onboard sound?

The only times I had a promlem like this was first when my 9800 pro died, second time when my AGP slot gave out, and finally when i tried to plug in a soundcard that didnt work.

Have to tried taking all of your components out (leaving in MOBO, CPU and RAM) and connecting them one by one to see what gives you trouble?

Yes unfortunatley I had done that, I had an old Audigy card which was in the way of the CMOS clear jumpers, so that was the first thing to come out when I popped the case open, since then it's stayed out etc. That and the GFX card were the only 2 cards in the PC.

Associate
Late reply here, but I remember I had a problem a couple of years ago on an Asus board and this may help. Plug a pair of headphones in the on-board sound jack and listen for any audio spoken messages (mine pointed to cpu failure).

Associate
OP
Still no joy on this. The motherboard came back and was reported as working fine. The PSU has been tested at work, it posted another PC fine and the power supply from the work PC didn't fix the problem with my PC. So it now points to the CPU being the root of all evil, I wasn't sure on this, I had an idea it could be mobo or cpu and I chose the wrong thing :(

Anyhow I shall pop out the CPU and give it my angry stare then pop it off back to the shop. So much for my first AMD system..

Fire.. :D

Associate
OP
It's just been confirmed the CPU was dead! Apparently I will have to wait 3 - 4 weeks for a replacement from AMD to come through :(

Common Overclockers can't you just send me a new one ?? :(

Back
Top Bottom