• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

how do I install dual core

Associate
Hi

just a noob question

got a x2 4800 cpu

steps I should do

update the bios

reinstall XP

do I need any drivers for the cpu? is there anything else I should do

Don
open up device manager - expand computer - it should say ACPI singleprocessor PC right click and click properties - click the Driver tab - click update - change it to a ACPI multiprocessor PC

Stelly

Soldato
I just took out old mono-core CPU and inserted dual-core cpu and turned the PC on, when it got into windows a little plug-n-play bubble appeared near the system tray and said *installing multi-processor* or something like that?

a no-brainer!

Soldato
You don't need to do anything. Just put the new CPU in and boot up. XP will update the kernel type itself and prompt for a reboot and after you reboot you'll have two usage graphs appear in task manager.

Did exactly the same thing in the past when moving from a 3700+ to an X2 4400+. No Windows reinstall or device manager changes are required.

You can install the AMD dual core CPU optimiser which you'll find on their site but I haven't needed to do this so only do so if you have any problems. There is also a CPU driver on AMD's site but again, I didn't find this did anything other than allow Cool n' Quiet so only install if you find you have any issues.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom