T-mobile MDA Vario II - when??

Suspended
Yes, I know this has been talked about loads!

Does anyone know if this is actually coming out on T-mobile any time soon, if at all?

I’ve seen discussion of it being released in June, July, August etc. and some talk of it not getting released in the UK at all!

Anyone have a definitive answer?

Soldato
From the forum I have been reading the date is the 16th of August, but who knows if thats gonna happen. I actually went into vodaphone and looked at there model and the thing is nice and fast opening applications and the jog wheel is very nice indeed should be a very nice upgrade from my slow Nokia 9300. Only problem in my eyes is the button layout on the vodaphone models, just don't like it at all. The best looking model in my opinion is the Orange model, as the Tmobile one has that lovely (NOT) pink/purple keyboard.

BUT Tmobile have the web n walk package which is tempting, my problem is that I have never really used the internet on my phone as it was so slow. So can anyone tell me would a 4mb package from Orange be enough given that all I will be doing is a bit of surfing, looking at my emails?

Last edited:
Soldato
Seen it on 2 websites for pre-order so far. These are the cost of the handsets on the Flext 30 and 35 contracts with Web N Walk:

Flext 30

Site 1: £94.99
Site 2: £111.00

Flext 35

Site 1: £69.99
Site 2: £79.00

Buying direct from T-Mobile should mean the handset cost is more subsidised. I hope!

Soldato
GuruJockStrap said:
Seen it on 2 websites for pre-order so far. These are the cost of the handsets on the Flext 30 and 35 contracts with Web N Walk:

Flext 30

Site 1: £94.99
Site 2: £111.00

Flext 35

Site 1: £69.99
Site 2: £79.00

Buying direct from T-Mobile should mean the handset cost is more subsidised. I hope!
What sites where they?

Man of Honour
AFK_Matrix said:
BUT Tmobile have the web n walk package which is tempting, my problem is that I have never really used the internet on my phone as it was so slow. So can anyone tell me would a 4mb package from Orange be enough given that all I will be doing is a bit of surfing, looking at my emails?
I was browsing these forums from my MDA Pro last night via wifi and it was telling me each page request was coming in at around 245KB data usage (at least that's what I assume the KB count was on the IE status bar?). If that's the case, 4MB isn't going to get you very far and if you intend to use MSN Messenger that will use up a fair few KB too..

Soldato
Vario II is also available to buy now on the T-Mobile Germany site:

http://www.t-mobile.de/shop/handy/0,4855,2963-_5540-0-1-0,00.html

Hopefully we haven't got long to go.

Also, the site that I can't link to is showing the Vario II like this:

mdavarioiiov1.jpg

Will there be 2 colour schemes?

Last edited:
Soldato
tonyyeb said:
This week!? Sweet! My mate wants one of these, ill have to let him know. Thanks for the info.

Don't take that as 100% certain! Thats only what I've read on a few websites.

The general census is that it'll be released this month. When exactly nobody is 100% sure.

Soldato
riddlermarc said:
I was browsing these forums from my MDA Pro last night via wifi and it was telling me each page request was coming in at around 245KB data usage (at least that's what I assume the KB count was on the IE status bar?). If that's the case, 4MB isn't going to get you very far and if you intend to use MSN Messenger that will use up a fair few KB too..

Thanks for that mate, if that is true then might have to go for the 8 or 10 mb packages if i go Orange. Is there any way with Orange or Tmobile to see how many mega bytes of internet access you have go left for the month? Either on the internet or that you can ring up?

Caporegime
AFK_Matrix said:
BUT Tmobile have the web n walk package which is tempting, my problem is that I have never really used the internet on my phone as it was so slow.

Not with a 3g enabled device it isnt, currently browsing the forums with my k800i and posting from it as well and thats using the tmobile web n walk tariff with my flext50 tariff. As far as i know with the tmobile web n walk tariff its unlimited web browsing but you cannot stream though as stated in their t&c's. For £7.50 a month on top of my £50 monthly flext50 charge....you cant go far wrong with that can you. As of yet Voda, Orange and O2 cant even come close to offering something similar. I know a lot of people curse tmobile but tbh its been good as gold for me so far the service.

Another way you could do it is by buying a pay as u go sim card from tmobile and then use the internet that way, you only pay a £1 charge for all day access as far as i know.

Associate
AFK_Matrix said:
...Is there any way with Orange or Tmobile to see how many mega bytes of internet access you have go left for the month? Either on the internet or that you can ring up?

I think if you login in to my t-mobile on there website it should show your remaining allowance as for orange i am not sure.

thedazman

Associate
I have spoken to many different people at T-mobile. They all say the same, 16th August for the Vario II. WIll have to wait to see what if it actually appears on Wednesday or not. I do hope they offer it in black too. The Picture on the German T-mobile site is awful.

Pdog

Soldato
Website has managed to get hold of the offical press release:

First to Market: T-Mobile launches MDA Vario II with mobile broadband

T-Mobile UK customers first to reap benefits of HSDPA on a mobile device

Key features of the MDA Vario II:

- Mobile broadband on your phone - HSDPA technology four times faster than 3G
- Web’n’Walk™ device - Internet on the move
- Microsoft® Windows Mobile 5.0 software
- Quad band capability
- HSDPA/3G, Wi-Fi and GPRS connectivity
- Push email-enabled - Supports Microsoft Direct Push
- Featuring illuminated slide out QWERTY keyboard

London, 14th August 2006: T-Mobile today announces the launch of the MDA Vario II, the first mobile handset to offer customers mobile broadband across the UK, using HSDPA technology via T-Mobile’s 3G network.

As the first handset available in the UK to be fully HSDPA-enabled, (High Speed Download Packet Access), the MDA Vario II will provide users with connection speeds of up to 1.8 megabits per second which is four times faster than previously available. The increased speed of service will provide users with the highest quality internet, video calling and email experience available on a mobile device.

Using HSDPA technology, T-Mobile already offers coverage across the UK population, and is an advancement on the existing 3G network offering speeds up to four times faster than 3G. For areas that are not currently covered by HSDPA, the device automatically connects to Wi-Fi and GPRS ensuring that customers are always connected at the fastest possible speed.

The MDA Vario II is Web‘n’Walk-enabled, providing customers with simple, open Internet access. The device is pre-installed with a web browser that ensures that users can view web pages as they could on their PC.

The device is based on the Microsoft® Windows Mobile 5.0 operating system, and comes complete with Microsoft Office, providing customers with key applications such as Microsoft Outlook®. Users can view and edit both Word and Excel® documents as well as view PowerPoint® and PDF files.

The MDA Vario II comes with a range of email options, enabling users to stay in contact whenever they want. The device comes preinstalled with Microsoft Direct Push.

Microsoft Direct Push is available to businesses which run Microsoft Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2. Users are automatically alerted for access to incoming email and there is no need to ask the device to retrieve new emails as they will be delivered directly from the customer’s Exchange Server as and when they arrive. It also includes an email setup wizard that enables users to quickly configure the device to their Gmail, Yahoo, BT, and AOL email accounts.

The device features an enhanced sliding QWERTY keyboard, which which illuminates in low light. It also includes an integrated 2 mega pixel camera with LED flash, VGA camera (for video calling) and Bluetooth connectivity. The MDA Vario II is available in a limited edition red, silver and black casing, exclusive to T-Mobile.

Derek Williamson, Head of Business Marketing, T-Mobile UK says, “By launching the MDA Vario II, T-Mobile is ensuring that our customers are the first to truly experience broadband-speed connectivity on the move via their mobile phone. T-Mobile continues to take the lead in transforming the way people live and work by supporting their need for access to information and communication any time.”

The MDA Vario is now available from T-Mobile stores nationwide and on-line at www.t-mobile.co.uk . The cost of the device is dependent on the price plan selected and the most a customer would pay is £299.00.

MDA_Vario_II_g_angled.gif

Looks like the 16th of August release date looks true!

With regards to the colour scheme, I wasn't keen on it to start with but it doesn't look bad in that shot.

Man of Honour
My local T-mobile store is getting stock in tomorrow.

So I'm guessing that tomorrow they'll be up for grabs.

Maybe...

Simon/~Flibster

Caporegime
AFK_Matrix said:
Thanks for that mate, if that is true then might have to go for the 8 or 10 mb packages if i go Orange. Is there any way with Orange or Tmobile to see how many mega bytes of internet access you have go left for the month? Either on the internet or that you can ring up?

You can download a gprs/umts monitor for windows mobile.

Back
Top Bottom