new bike

Soldato
hi guys, i have been looking to get a new bike and have found one for a reasonable price

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B1442.html

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=5834

the differences are the price and the gear shifters from what i can see, but i'd like confirmation on this and also what are "E.Z Fire" shifters like to use?

Would this bike be a good purchase for general use, and would the gears be reliable (my current bike has poor gears).

thanks

daven

Soldato
Get a Specialized Hardrock if you can afford an extra few quid. You can pick up a 2005 model for 250. I got a 2005 Hardrock Sport for 225 from here:

http://www.bikebike.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p306

It is a great entry level bike. Quite a short top tube though so if you are a tall bloke you may find the riding position uncomfy. Best thing to do is to go to your local bike shop have a few test rides and find what fits then order on the net.

Caporegime
Bike last as long as you take good care of them and also depends what kind of trails you go to. For road and stuff they'll last a while, but give it to wescott and he'll break it round the first jump.

eeek..at those bikes.

Stay away from full suspension unless you have £700/800, that's when they start to get acceptble (cheaper than that, unless from discount, i'd stick to a hardtail), cheap suspension bikes are awful. Since there are more parts = heavier and more to go wrong, so cheap = bad for full sussers.

As for Disc brakes, V-brakes are better than cable disc brakes actually. Unless you invest in Hydralic disc brakes then it is a different kettle of fish.

I still think Youstolemyname's suggestion that a Specialized Hardrock is your best bet.

Caporegime
Soldato
At the moment I've found:

Giant XTC SE - £425
Specialized Rockhopper Disc - £550
Giant Trance 4 with Hayes Disc (above) £630

So really trying to work out which is the best deal, I will be using it everday for cycling to work (flat all the way) and also want to do some off-roading but nothing that is likely to be too hardcore (marlow isnt all that well known for its mountains).

Caporegime
ricky1981 said:
At the moment I've found:

Giant XTC SE - £425
Specialized Rockhopper Disc - £550
Giant Trance 4 with Hayes Disc (above) £630

So really trying to work out which is the best deal, I will be using it everday for cycling to work (flat all the way) and also want to do some off-roading but nothing that is likely to be too hardcore (marlow isnt all that well known for its mountains).

In that case, i'd go with the Rockhopper disc.

Caporegime
ricky1981 said:
Now been offered GIANT XTC SX 06 for £560???

Too many options, either way I'm going to buy one tomorrow, going to end up tossing a coin to decide I think :)

That's the 2 bike i was deciding in between...........they are both excellent and good as each other, i think the Giant has a slightly better forks but the Rockhopper has Avid Juicy brakes. Have a ride of them both, and choose one, they are both as good as each other.

Associate
Raymond Lin said:
Have a ride of them both, and choose one

Great advice. If you can ride one at a shop. Then go web and buy one probably cheaper that the shop one, or play the shop off against the web price.

With my last 3 bikes i went to the shop with an idea of what to buy but after riding demo bikes i changed my mind. I'd like to think it wasn't just sales speak :)

T

Caporegime
Thumpsta said:
Great advice. If you can ride one at a shop. Then go web and buy one probably cheaper that the shop one, or play the shop off against the web price.

With my last 3 bikes i went to the shop with an idea of what to buy but after riding demo bikes i changed my mind. I'd like to think it wasn't just sales speak :)

T

Same, i so wanted a Giant XTC, but tried on the rockhopper and then loved it. Then they sold out and found my Giant Trance bargain.

Soldato
Found a local place that would do the Rockhopper Disc for £585 and felt it was worth the extra to have somewhere I can actually go to if I have any problems, need advice, etc.

Getting it on Saturday! Can't wait :D

Back
Top Bottom