Fiat Punto Head Gasket

Permabanned
Right,

The cars head gaket has gone, and a mechanic looked over it to give an estimate. He asking £450 to get it fixed. A fiat punto 75 sx.

Is that reasonable? Also would i be able to fix it myself?

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Kroegen said:
Right,

The cars head gaket has gone, and a mechanic looked over it to give an estimate. He asking £450 to get it fixed. A fiat punto 75 sx.

Is that reasonable? Also would i be able to fix it myself?

Changing it is fairly simple - reskimming the head if it's been warped and needs doing is the more complicated bit, and garages loooooove to charge for it.

For £450, I'd go get another engine out of a scrapped example to be honest....

Soldato
£300-£350 is about the going rate.

Take a Rover into a garage and you'll get quotes of £500+

If you're reasonably mechanically minded, you'll be able to have the job done in a day. A new head gasket costs around £25.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Depends on a few factors. How bad is it? If the head is warped, can it be rectified easily? If its badly warped, you wont really be able to do it yourself. If its not warped at all, its a job you could do if you are handy with tools etc and can follow instructions.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
If all that needs doing is the gasket, then I'll second agw's post and say do it yourself. If you've properly cooked it (unlikely), then there are cheaper places to get it repaired than the mechanic you got to look at it I would think.

Soldato
Haynes manual is your best bet.

I mean, you never know when you'll need it in the future. Working on your own car will save you a fortune, and can actually be very enjoyable.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
agw_01 said:
Haynes manual is your best bet.

I mean, you never know when you'll need it in the future. Working on your own car will save you a fortune, and can actually be very enjoyable.

Note: "can" be very enjoyable.

As Soon as you slip and punch something it not very enjoyable after that :p

But still do it your self because it will be cheaper and you will learn something :)

Soldato
Had the same on the Meganne, 1998 with 95k on it, local renault inde wanted close to 500 for belts/head/water pump.

I roped in her step dad and it was amazingly simple (it's an 8v, 16 is apparently more of a PITA), head was fine when whe checked it and didn't need skimming. Including oil, filters, new water pump, full belt change, gearabox oil, disc's/pads, exhaust manifold from the scrappy and a new CV joint (and a very large bottle of whiskey to say thanks) it came in at about half the garage rate.

Haynes manuals are worth their weight in gold as are father in law's!

Soldato
Good stuff Avalon :)

I think the only difference between 8 and 16v engines, is that you have an extra cam to time up.

Apart from that, taking the head off will be pretty much the same.

Soldato
Im pretty mechanicly minded but not exceptopnally, and I just did the cambelt, head gasket water pump and thermostat on mt Corsa, (the HG was gone and water pmp growling, did the belt whilst I was at it)!

It took me about 4 hours, with lots of brews! cost me £82 for the lot.

Soldato
i'm a complete cack-hander and managed to change a few cooling hoses on my rover with no permanent injury. tackling cambelt and water pump soon. being methodical ands reading the right bit of the book of lies a few times before you start is the key

Soldato
Saytan said:
i'm a complete cack-hander and managed to change a few cooling hoses on my rover with no permanent injury. tackling cambelt and water pump soon. being methodical ands reading the right bit of the book of lies a few times before you start is the key

certainly is! Just make sure you get the timing right!
my car was only £150 so If I break it I'll find annother shed!
I rarely use it anyway, use the bike unless its tipping it down!

Back
Top Bottom