dvd options for shuttle

Associate
hi guys,

i've got a shuttle SN85G4 V1.

i'm just wondering what dvd drive to go for that will allow the best air flow and will be as noiseless as possible?

my current dvd drive decided it doesn't like cd's any more :(

best value for money please guys:)

thankyou very much for any help you can give me:)

Soldato
I recently bought a Pioneer DVR-111BK, and was plesantly suprised to find it was shorter than my old drive which i was replacing from my shuttle! So that must be helping with airflow at the back ;)

As for quiet, I've got another Pioneer in my main rig which seems fairly quiet, but to be honest with my raptor running in the background i ain't sure if it's really quiet.

I think as long as the cables at the rear of your drive are as tidy as you can make them then that in itself should help with airflow :)

Soldato
ive got one of the latest LG drives in my SN85G4V3, its a lot shorter than the older version i had and quieter, though no idea how it compares to other makes for noise as ive only ever had LG's

Soldato
i think its the LG GSA-H10NBAL, or theone before it (it was an OEM drive as far as i know), my friends bought it me for my bday in june so unless theres been a new one out since, think this is the one i have

tbh i dont notice it spin up, mainly cos i got music on or films on or somethin but still, its only loud when it spins up anyway so i wouldnt be too bothered how loud it was cos its not on half the time

Last edited:
Associate
i have purchased an external one for my sn25p, and an external floppy that sit up on my desk for easy access, you can pick the LG dvdrw one up for £25 if you look around.

That has really reduced temps because i was able to then remove the drive cradle thing, and just have the 2 hdds at the top of the case, but maybe defeats the idea of sff depending on what you are looking for

Associate
OP
just perchased a LG GSA-H10NBAL drive ...

having a few problems though , doesn't wanna write dvd-r's?

in nero it just shows options as dvd cd/rw ... not dvd/rw .. it also calls it a dvd ram drive...

have you had this problem?

Soldato
tbh i havnt noticed any of them in nero (version 7). i usually just open nero burning rom, and just select whether im makin a cd or dvd.

for m last LG dvd-rw i found an update but havnt looked for this one???

Back
Top Bottom