I need a new car

Soldato
Well my car officially died today so a new one is required.

Maximum budget will be about 6k and unfortunately it MUST be an automatic.

Im only 24 and at uni so preferably i wanting something smallish (hatchback size) so if anyone has any recomendations, i'd greatly appreciate them.

And before anyone starts posting totally unhelpful comments like "auto's suck, learn to drive a manual" let me just explain that im physically unable to drive a car with a clutch due to a medical condition.

Many thanks :)

[Edit] Just had a quick scan on autotrader and came across this

003 03 Reg FORD FOCUS 2.0 Ghia 5dr Auto+leather+climate pack
5 Doors, Automatic, Hatchback, Petrol, 29,000 miles, 1 Owner. Full service history, SAT NAV, heated leather seats, Climate Control, Air conditioning, Electrically adjustable seats, ABS, Power assisted steering, Alloy wheels, Radio/CD Multichanger, Multi function steering wheel, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Front armrest, Lumbar support, alarm remote controlled, bumper and mirror in color, Rear headrests, Passenger airbag, Folding rear seats, Rear armrest, Immobiliser, Foglights, Traction control, Adjustable steering column/wheel, central doorlocks with remote control, Metallic paintwork, Tinted glass, FIVE DAY SPECIAL SALE PRICE. £6,590.

Sounds too good to be true? I'm pretty sure it DOESN'T have sat nav as i cant see in the pictures. I'd provide a link if i knew how to link to specific cars on autotrader.

Last edited:
Associate
When you pop up the specific car on autotrader hit F11 then youll see the link which you can then post

Associate
it full screens the add and shows the link at the top, thats how i always done it. Can also do the right click properties, but sometimes someone views the properties of the picture file and posts that rather than the full add etc..

Soldato
does it have to be economical? I was thinking along the lines of a 200SX auto. I know the manuals are very good but dont know about the auto's.

/edit, just seen the small hatchback thing :p

In that case, focus sounds good!

Soldato
Been in the same situation myself till last saturday, although I didn't have as much cash.

The only thing about Ford is some of their auto boxes are a bit weak giving up at anytime after 60K. Some Focus's use the Mazda 4 speed box which is reportably very reliable, however I think it is only the 1.8. Maybe someone else can confirm they all use this one rather than the variant the Mondeo uses.

Worth checking though as I imagine a box rebuild would be expensive.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the replies guys.

After doing some research i can get a brand new car under a leasing scheme called Motability - it's a scheme for disable drivers.

I've searched the site for all the available cars and have come up with the following list.

Renault Megane 2.0VVT 136 Dynamic (Either Hatchback or Sport Hatch, no idea what the difference is. Suspension setup i guess).
Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia
Peugeot 307 1.6 (Either the S or the Sport)
VW Golf 1.6 SE FSI
Mazda3 1.6 TS

All the above are automatics.

Hopefully some of you will know more about those cars than i do. At the moment i'm leaning more towards the Megane as its the quickest (0-60 in 10.9). The Focus is meant to be good but is painfully slow (0-60 in 13.5). The Golf is also meant to be good but is also on the sluggish side (0-60 in 12.5).

Of course speed isn't everything, ride quality, handling, build quality and interior are also important but i have no experience on that front. Reliability isn't too much of a concern as its a lease car and so repairs and serving will cost me nothing.

If anyone would like to chip in with some advice please feel free :)

Cheers.

Man of Honour
Why 2 litre Megane yet 1.6 everything else? You'd not find the performance differences you have if you compared to the 2 litre versions of the other cars. I would say the Megane is the worst car on that list - I would be tempted by the Mazda3, as its based on the current generation Focus whereas I presume the Focus in your list is the Mk1.

Have you looked at the Mk2 Focus? You might find those for budget now.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Why 2 litre Megane yet 1.6 everything else? You'd not find the performance differences you have if you compared to the 2 litre versions of the other cars. I would say the Megane is the worst car on that list - I would be tempted by the Mazda3, as its based on the current generation Focus whereas I presume the Focus in your list is the Mk1.

Have you looked at the Mk2 Focus? You might find those for budget now.

The reason its a 2.0 Megane is that each car has an Advanced payment and for whatever reason, the megane costs no more as all the 1.6's. It will be a mk2 Focus as all the cars are brand new. I'm put off by the focus though because its just so damn slow.

Soldato
OP
Another car has been added to the list of possibilities. It's a new Astra 1.8 16v Club Auto.

From what i gather they're meant to be good cars but i've always hated Vauxhall for consistently making the dullest cars money can buy.

Anyone have any thoughts or feelings about the Astra?

Soldato
Can i just say about motability (and this is my own personal finding) thats its a bit of a rip off. I had a Hyundai Amica on motability when i passed my test at 16. That is because it was the easiest way, and insurance wise, cheapest at the time.

But 3 years on and about to give the car back, I sat down and did the sums. If i had got a loan for the car and insurance and paid monthly over the 3 years, it would have still been cheaper than motability by a fair bit.

Also it was only at the end of the 3 years that motability told me i wouldnt be entitled to any no claims :eek:

SO basically. after i finished motability, i still had to find the cash to buy my own car, and still had zero NCB so insurance was still pretty high :(

I guess it depends on your personal situation, but if i were you, id spend your own £6k on a decent auto. This will be far cheaper than motability :)

/edit - out of the list above, it would be the focus or the golf. DONT get the 307. It is by far the worse car out of that list :)

Back
Top Bottom