The dreaded rolleyes.

Permabanned
:rolleyes:

Why is this little fella seen as such a taboo on this forum? If someone posts it, instantly we get responses such as "I hope those rolleyes are not at me" or "keep the rolleyes to yourself"

I'm also quite sure that if someone posted

"Your Mom is really fat actually :rolleyes: "

People would take more offence of the rolleyes, than the actual insult.

No other emoticon evokes this response, just him.

It's bizzare, anybody know why?

Soldato
I can't say I have really noticed a problem, maybe thats because I rarely use it so don't get the backlash.

It's highly amusing when used at the right time but when people post it as an insult rather than taking the time to explain why they have a problem with something it gets annoying.

Soldato
I think it's quite cute.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Although I think the main reason for offence is because it's dark green. No-one like dark-green, NO-ONE!.

I therefore move to make the rolleyes smiley magenta, to solve the problems on the boards.

Last edited:
Soldato
Spacky said:
I think the whole 'emoticon' concept is quite interesting, people actually get offended by a small facial image.

No, people get offended by the intent and meaning behind the posted image.

Thats like saying why would you get offended if I called your mother a ******* **** I mean they are only words on a screen.

Soldato
Tru said:
I used it a couple of times, years ago, but now I think it's better to be more subtle when you patronise someone. The rolleyes is a cop out
Couldn't agree more :)

I think your opinion is really great :)

Let's use this smiley loads as it can be really patronising instead :)

Don't you think? :)

:p

Soldato
iCraig said:

I had no problem with it before I came to OCUK and this is the only forum that I know where it seems to be used on with some kind of malice attached to it as opposed to a display of emotion, like the others.

I used it a few times, in jest and got completely flamed as it was a dreaded taboo smiley here and is only acceptable with a :p after it, otherwise it's fighting talk.

Now I know what it means here, I don't use it usually, and how I take it being said to me depends on the context.

btw: if you're refering to my comment in the New Don thread, it was sarcasm, that's why it had the :p after it.

And Rich_L I agree totally. You can say whatever crap you like and put a :) after it and it seems far more patronising than any amount of rolleyes.

Permabanned
MookJong said:
No, people get offended by the intent and meaning behind the posted image.

Thats like saying why would you get offended if I called your mother a ******* **** I mean they are only words on a screen.

True (I am so going to beat the crap out of you for that comment bout my momma, you don't know her and if you say you do am still gonna beat you black 'n' blue)... [insert witty emoticon]

...you were saved by Asterix

asterixzorrowu1.jpg

Soldato
I hate this emoticon and if I've ever used it I deserve a good kicking, it needs removing and while they're at it a word replacement on "tin foil hat" to "free thinking individual"

Soldato
shifty_uk said:
I would use it a lot more, but people seem to get upset about it :confused:

:rolleyes: tbh.

People who roll their eyes in real life are just as annoying. Instead of using it to show your derision why not just address the post that clearly isn't up to your standards directly?

Man of Honour
The forum one isn't too bad.

THE MSN ONE DRIVES ME INSANE

Both of them do annoy me, but its not the image itself. Its what it stands for. Just the whole 'I think you are (being) stupid and I want to make a point how how pathetic you are with body language'. Thats how interpret it and because its so childish, it can't help but wind me up. Some people don't take it quite as to heart as me though, so I'm proberly the odd one out here.

Back
Top Bottom