hi-fi related questions

Associate
I want to get into hi-fi but it seems quite hard as i need a few basic questions answering:

If I want to use a turntable will I need a preamp as well as a stereo amp?

Do all hifi seperates have the same standard of cabling?

Why do some hifi components cost so much? - why cant someone reproduce the sound of expensive gear with a lower cost? (factory production techniques etc..)

Most of my music collection is on mp3, whats the best way to listen to this? Would I need a DAC of some sort or is that just for cd?

If I play vinyl, whats all the components I need? (eg amp, speakers and turntable etc...)

Thanks in advance for any help:)

Associate
Right first

The AMP
You either need an amp with a phone stage built in or you need a phone pre amp.
EG
302461.jpg

The only thing I don't know is which way is best.

Cabling
Most equipment will either connect to each other with phono leads, optical out or coaxial out depending on what the equipment is.

Cost
The old saying you get what you pay for springs to mind here. Its not until you hear the differences between el cheapo gear to expensive gear that you can appreciate where the money went. Thats not to say that you can't get good sound from a resonable outlay.

Mp3's depend on what you have got them stored on, a pc, ipod or disc.

If you can give a budget then I am sure we can all help with a system.

Suspended
At the very least you need a source, stereo integrated amplifier and speakers. For records, you need a phono pre-amplifer- two types of decks, moving magnet and moving coil. A phono stage can be built into a stereo integrated amplifier or a seperate box.

You can then split the "stereo integrated amplifier" into more boxes, stereo pre-amplifier and stereo power amplifer. This'll offer superior performance over a single box. But it'll cost more. You can then go down passive bi-amping by purchasing another stereo power amplifier and removing the bridging links between the speaker binding posts, running HF from one amp, LF another. Active biamping is better still, but very costly.

The actual cost of components in audio equipment isn't that high, most gives into manufacturer's costs.

If you listen to MP3 I would use a high bitrate no less than 256K VBR.

You can use a portable music player (analogue output) or if the device has digital out (iriver H120/H140 you can then use a DAC for superior sound quality. That's what I do and it sounds far better.

Associate
OP
thanks for the replys! lots to think about...

some more questions... :rolleyes:

I want to start small and then add components when I have the money, ive been looking at a ARCAM A65 PLUS - DIVA INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER to start with, does it have a phono stage because the website dosent say?

Im thinking about buying speakers at a later date and using my Sure e3c earphones until then, I presume all integrated amps have a headphone out?

My music is on my Archos Av420, which has a phono output (with the docking station), would this be ok to input into the amp? It plays uncompressed WAV's as well as 320kps mp3's. I also have 1000+ 12" vinyls, can someone recommend me a turntable for £200 s/h?

Oh I forgot to say, my budget for the amp is £300 s/h.

Suspended
Yes that arcam has a headphone stage, you'll need a 6.25mm to 3.5mm adaptor. I would also buy an extension cord. Not all integrated amplifiers have headphone stage- check the front panel for a headphone output.

There's a couple of Audiolab 8000S amps on the bay. Don't pay more than £250.

If the mp3 player has line out to connect it to any any line level input on the Arcam. I would borrow a couple of amplifiers for a week, I've owned Arcam in the past- good overall but a little bit too laidback/lacking attack.

Checkout Rega turntables, I think the P2 is around £200.

Last edited:
Associate
Lots of fine turntables available under £200, Project, Rega, Thorens (my favourite), Linn etc. Ebay usually has a very good selection.

Associate
nO}{8 said:
thanks for the replys! lots to think about...

some more questions... :rolleyes:

I want to start small and then add components when I have the money, ive been looking at a ARCAM A65 PLUS - DIVA INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER to start with, does it have a phono stage because the website dosent say?

It has a moving magnet phono stage only built in
Heres a couple more to look at
303145-1.jpg

Marantz PM7001 Silver (Stereo Amplifer) - £299

303148-1.jpg

Cambridge Audio 640A V2 - £299

Back
Top Bottom