IP Camera File Store £700 (paranoid)

Associate
Basically I want a machine that will record from the cameras around my home, prerequisites are conroe duo, 320GB SATA raid with redundancy 2GB RAM the graphics card isnt really important it will also need about 1GBit NIC.

So far ive got:

Intel Core 2 DUO E6300 "LGA775 Allendale" 1.86GHz (1066FSB) - OEM (CP-135-IN)
3 * Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 320GB 6V320F0 SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-113-MD)
Abit AB9 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard (MB-106-AB)
BFG 3DFuzion GeForce 7300 LE Turbo Cache 256MB DDR TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-028-BG)
Antec SLK3000B Midi Tower Case - No PSU (CA-027-AN)

already have

2GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM
Antec 1650 chassis I have spare
Windows XP

Which came out at about £610.

Raid is needed,
Is that all ok compatability wise or can anyone come up with a better solution I'm a tad blonde when it comes to Intels stuff.

Soldato
Pajeh said:
Is it necessary to get such an expensive setup? Surely a £300 pc would do the job?
Agreed, why all the PoWERRRRR?

I'd spend £200 buying something second hand not in this context sorry, local paper or (when you get access to it) the MM.

EDIT: You also don't have a PSU in that spec

fini

Associate
How many simultaneous feeds and at what rate to you intend to capture?
If just a couple of cameras taking a shot every few seconds then you only need a cheap machine with a pair of mirrored drives

If you want to record streaming video from several cameras simultaneously then you may want to think about a dedicated solution, especially if you want to record in any kind of quality.

Just a thought..
I would calculate how much data is going to hit the recording PC and at what rate, then design the networking and RAID system around that. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP

Future proofing.

The system will be running 24x7 and scheduled to re-encode a days worth of captured footage from 6 Sony IP cameras, obviously i want this done as quickly as possible.

The camera management and control application is also resource heavy when set to monitor activity / record automatically so this was another consideration.

This is really a test bed, if it works then itll be installed on my business premises and monitor there, so its worth noting all costs should be ex-VAT.

Soldato
Retow said:
Future proofing.

The system will be running 24x7 and scheduled to re-encode a days worth of captured footage from 6 Sony IP cameras, obviously i want this done as quickly as possible.

The camera management and control application is also resource heavy when set to monitor activity / record automatically so this was another consideration.

This is really a test bed, if it works then itll be installed on my business premises and monitor there, so its worth noting all costs should be ex-VAT.

WELL THEN

Go for:

ntel Core 2 DUO E6400
Seagate Barracuda ES 750GB ST3750640NS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM x4
Asus P5W DH Deluxe WiFi
Any old graphics card, consider ATI as it may help in converting Vids
CoolerMaster Stacker 830

Expensive but will do exactly what you want - YOU NEED those Seagate drives as there designed exactly for this purpose, anything else would probably fail fairly quickly, if its out of budget get the normal seagate drives, STAY AWAY FROM MAXTOR

Soldato
A note for you,

i have heard from a frend of a friend who has a print business who did just this, problem is.

the gits who broke in stole the recording machine, and smashed what they couldnt take.

He has a new system in place, which also uploads to a storage spot on the web.

Not sure how this is run, it doesnt upload the whole lot obviously, but a frame every now and then when its picked up some motion.

Would be worth looking into this solution also.

Wouldnt want you spending and installing only to have it nicked or smashed wiht no evidence.

Associate
fini said:
Agreed, why all the PoWERRRRR?

I'd spend £200 buying something second hand off of the bay, local paper or (when you get access to it) the MM.

EDIT: You also don't have a PSU in that spec

fini

the MM?

Associate
OP
Good point on the theft of the machine there is a server room but thats not very secure, i suppose i could get some sort of enclosure.

Soldato
That may be hard unless the safe was designed for it, due to heat / power etc.

You could bolt the PC to the floor and put the hard drives in decent enclosures, although it still may get stolen.

Soldato
1) Install tracker in PC (like in cars)
2) get tracker remote control thing so you don't have to rely on police
3) run down road after burglar
4)find your keyboard in their house
5)show off keyboard warrior skills
6)post thread about it on OcUK

fini

Back
Top Bottom