Help configuring my wireless card in Ubuntu

Soldato
Hi all,

So i managed to get Ubuntu installed yesterday with my Shipit cd and i'm having a bit of trouble getting my wireless card setup.

I've had a look on the Ubuntu forums and it seems that my card (Linksys WMP54GS) is well supported but it's my noobness that's holding me back.

This particular thread (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=152292) seemed quite helpful and i tried out the suggestion in post no.6

The problem i have is that i don't know how to create a script :confused: so i can't get very far.

Any help would be great :)

Permabanned
To create the script, simply copy and paste the text in the link into your favourite text editor (or "gedit if you dont have one"), save it as "script.sh" or similar and when saved, open up the terminal and chmod a+x script.sh it to make it executable.

n.b. if you are going to save it in /usr/bin as suggested in the tutorial, you will need to run "sudo gedit" to run your text editor as root, as otherwise you wont have permission to save the file in that location.

Soldato
OP
Well i managed to save the script alright without any permision errors but i then got a permission error when i was making it executable. It said that i wasn't the owner when i tried changing the permisions so i tried changing the ownership. That didn't work as it said i didn't have the permissions :rolleyes:

So i left that and carried on with the next steps in post no.6 and rebooted but the internet didn't work. So does the script need to be executable?

I may end up taking my pc downstairs to the ethernet conenction and using apt-get to install ndiswrapper and use that to install my windows drivers.

Soldato
OP
Una said:
Yes you need to make it executable. Do sudo chmod a+x filename on it to make it executable.
That's what i did. It says that i don't have the permissions needed to make it executable.

EDIT: Ah i see there's sudo there. I'll try that :)

Soldato
OP
Well, sudo or not, it's not working. I'm going to try ndiswrapper, i just need to wait till my relatives leave so i have some spare time :D

Thanks for the suggestions so far :)

Back
Top Bottom