cd/dvd drive stopped working!!

Associate
hey, i'm furious. The cd/dvdrw drive (TSSTCorp TS-L532U) on my laptop (asus a6k QOO2H) has just stopped working in the last two days. I tried to burn a picture cd for my gf on a standard memorex cdr, the process started and finished as normal. however, when i pressed 'next' after the process had finished, an error message appeared stating that the process could not continue and that the disc writing had failed. very odd.

Then, when i put another one of these memorex discs into the drive the laptop didnt detect it! I've been using these discs for 7 months with no probs, furious! so i messed about for a while and managed to burn the same project onto a dvd with no problems at all.

The laptop then stopped detecting one of my games but not others. AND NOW I'M REALLY FURIOUS! This morning my new netgear DG834N wireless router/modem and WN511B pcmcia card arrived. so i put the installation cd in the drive and guess what?? yep it wont detect it.

The only odd thing is that i've got windows auto update switched on and over the last week i've had maybe 6-7 updates installed. i usually only get one or two every 3 months or so. i cant roll back the driver as its never been updated. The driver of the drive is from microsoft, version 5.1.2535.0 date 01/07/2001

many thanks folks!!

Associate
OP
hey thanks, i've already been to that page and dont really know what to download- i've got the manual and reference manual but not sure which files to get. i suppose i'd start with the first firmware version? but i dont know how to go about setting it all up. i guess its because i'm an idiot which i find very annoying!

I've identified the cd/dvd drive error- my laptop now detects dvd's but not cd's of any kind. any ideas??

Soldato
It's probably broken. It could also be your controller and / or memory.

Setting the drive to PIO mode might help, although it would be much slower.

Back
Top Bottom