• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Use any PCI-E socket on a SLi motherboard?

Associate
I've just received my new motherboard(DFI Infinity NF4 SLi)and how the CPU bracket is orientated I could have a problem fitting my Arctic Freezer fan if I use the top PCI-E socket.

Do you have to use a specific socket on a SLi motherboard if you only have the one graphics card installed?

I'd like to use the bottom one but couldn't find anything in the motherboard manual that states whether you have to use a certain socket when using one graphics card.

TIA, dagwoood.

Soldato
From what I have heard, you don't have to use a specific slot. Give it a try, as there's no risk of damaging your card this way, and let us know how it goes. :)

Soldato
easyrider said:
Using the lower is meant to decrease perfromance.But in real worls tests the difference is small.
Aye, doesn't the bottom one use PCI-E 8x as opposed to PCI-E 16x? No difference though, as you said, because even the bandwidth of AGP 8x hasn't been saturated yet. :)

Man of Honour
from what ive read if you use the top it gets the full 16x if you use the bottom the 16x lane is split into 2 8x lanes which is then given to each slot but as Úlfhednar said AGP 8x hasnt even been saturated yet so you shouldnt notice any real decrease in performance

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input guys :)

According to my motherboard manual it just says that when a single slot is used it's x16, but when in SLi mode each socket runs at x8. I'll give it a try and post back what happens.

Thanks again, dagwoood.

Back
Top Bottom