Racing Lines MkII

Soldato
After the disaster of the previous one, I've found a new go-karting place which is much better, but I'm still having trouble. The karts are 200cc and are fairly nippy. I can get around 29 seconds but the lap record is 24s - there's a lot of room for improvement. I've tried to include as much information about the track as possible - If anyone can do some lines on the red picture that'd be fantastic.

overall layout
Photo.jpg

Photo
ohoto.jpg

Lines map
lines.jpg

Permabanned
Losing a couple of stone would be the best way to make up the seconds.

The lap record would have been set by a waffer-theen eight year old.

*n

Soldato
Yup losing weight is probably the easiest method plus not letting the kart slide too much. For example when I have used Go Karts before I am able to gain on quite a few people as I only weigh ~57kg, compared to other people I know who are 100+kg. Quite a big difference, especially when they only have 200cc engines.

Caporegime
saitrix said:
Yup losing weight is probably the easiest method plus not letting the kart slide too much. For example when I have used Go Karts before I am able to gain on quite a few people as I only weigh ~57kg, compared to other people I know who are 100+kg. Quite a big difference, especially when they only have 200cc engines.

the heavier people can hold more weight through the corner tho. so the initial acceleration is a bonus for you, but over a period of time the bigger blokes would catch up :]

Soldato
penski said:

OT, but that nearly made me spit my tea all over my keyboard!

On Topic, asside from loosing some weight, try and watch other people doing the circuit, see where they go, listen for where they put the power on etc.

Soldato
penski said:
Losing a couple of stone would be the best way to make up the seconds.

*n

Low weight does not always equate to low laptime. At my local track, the marshal with the lap record is hardly featherweight. The layout of the track does have some bearing however.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Morba said:
the heavier people can hold more weight through the corner tho. so the initial acceleration is a bonus for you, but over a period of time the bigger blokes would catch up :]
Not true. The sideways force on the tyres on cornering increases as well as the extra grip from the added weight, plus you have a lot more inertia, so you slide more. At the end of the day less weight will always be better but most of the time it's down to crap technique.

Lewis is fresh doing engineering, he'll explain it better...

Soldato
OP
Duke said:
Where is that?

Langar in nottinghamshire.

Whilst I'm sure losing weight would help its not exactly practical :p

I seem to have trouble with the bends immediately before and after the bridge, what is the best approach for them?

Soldato
i was going to say that looks like langer airfield near cotgrave :)

had a birthday party there :)

trick is to take the under the bridge part flat out without lifting :D great fun! ... unless they've changed it, but it doesnt look like it to me :)

Soldato
The general idea is to straighten the corners out as much as possible therefore carrying more speed.

HOWEVER, you will find that the more entry speed to carry, you may have to take the corner differently. It's all about how you feel and how confident (or loony) you are as to how fast you can go. If your very brave and have faith in your car you will go faster than anyone taking corners using the right lines.

Plus, finding the right lines and acheiving good exit speeds is half the fun of going karting anyway.

Suspended
I've been go karting only once but it did confuse me how some people were taking corners significantly quicker than I could when I was following them exactly on the same racing line :confused: And I know for a fact that two of the people I am specifically thinking about one was lighter and one was heavier.

I know next to nothing about taking the correct racing lines, when to apply power etc etc but even knowing that I know nothing it seemed a little messed up. Started me thinking if my kart was shafted :(

Soldato
OP
fRostiE said:
i was going to say that looks like langer airfield near cotgrave :)

had a birthday party there :)

trick is to take the under the bridge part flat out without lifting :D great fun! ... unless they've changed it, but it doesnt look like it to me :)

Yeah you can take the underpass at full pelt, but then all the boys with girl hair overtake you on the corner :(

Soldato
when i used to go karting the could up or down the power depending who was on. Times could vary 2secs per lap between 2 sessions 15mins apart. Why i stoppped going in the end (was at fast lane karting in fenton)

Associate
Noxis said:
I've been go karting only once but it did confuse me how some people were taking corners significantly quicker than I could when I was following them exactly on the same racing line :confused: And I know for a fact that two of the people I am specifically thinking about one was lighter and one was heavier.

I know next to nothing about taking the correct racing lines, when to apply power etc etc but even knowing that I know nothing it seemed a little messed up. Started me thinking if my kart was shafted :(

When you go to places like these the karts are rarely all the same, mainly in the tyre department, there will always be some karts with better/worse tyres than the rest. It's just luck which kart you get unless you get to pick ;)

PS: outdoor karting is miles better :p

Soldato
Skull said:
Yeah you can take the underpass at full pelt, but then all the boys with girl hair overtake you on the corner :(

thats half the fun of it tho, over people overtaking you, its not all about gettnig the fastest lap time, i always found a close race with a friend where we were constantly battling through the corners to be more fun than where on person just flew off ahead and won it by 20 seconds :p

if you take the correct racing line on the hairpin before the bridge, yuo'll often find people dive down your inside and cut you off your racing line... which slows you down. But then again if you dive down the inside the same is going to happen so !

Suspended
R3DBuLL said:
When you go to places like these the karts are rarely all the same, mainly in the tyre department, there will always be some karts with better/worse tyres than the rest. It's just luck which kart you get unless you get to pick ;)

PS: outdoor karting is miles better :p

It was out door actually, I just seemed to be lacking the grip some of the guys had I think.

Back
Top Bottom