DS4, Conroe and 2gb - advice

Soldato
Hello,

Apologies for making another thread on memory. But I recently had to RMA some GSkill RAM because it didn't like the comfy housing of my motherboard slots.

I'm now left with a new computer with no RAM and am a bit cautious in regards to what to get next - GSkill at the time seemed like a good idea and Geil seems to be pretty popular among most people - but I've got a niggling thought in the back of my mind that I should just play it safe with some Corsair XMS2.

DDR2 and 800Mhz is the sort of range I'm in at the moment. Anyone running a Conroe (E6600) and a Gigabye DS4 have RAM that simply works?

The GSkill stuff I had was good RAM (HZ, I believe) but it was clocking up over 1000, sometimes 2000 errors on MemTest - so obviously something wasn't right there.

I'm hoping to buy within the next hour so need some advice as soon as possible - otherwise I may be forced to wait until next week. :eek:

Thanks.

Associate
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC) (MY-058-GL)

I have the cheaper one's 667 running @ 470 with +.3

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the reply, Servo.

Notice they're on special offer as well - quite tempting. At the same time, I'm a bit torn given the Corsair RAM.

I have a stick running in this rig and it's been absolutely sound in the whole time I've had it.

I notice that GSkill and Geil are 'described' as the overclockers choice of RAM - does this mean you have to overclock the RAM to get the best out of it or that it's just easier overclocked?

Caporegime
Slogan said:
I notice that GSkill and Geil are 'described' as the overclockers choice of RAM - does this mean you have to overclock the RAM to get the best out of it or that it's just easier overclocked?

They're great at stock speeds, better than the Corsair due to the tighter timings, and clock high too if you ever feel the need.

Soldato
OP
Minstadave said:
They're great at stock speeds, better than the Corsair due to the tighter timings, and clock high too if you ever feel the need.

Cheers, Dave.

I'll chance my arm with the Geil then - so long as it works as it should; I'll be happy.

Associate
If I was buying again, without a shadow of doubt it would be the geil, these have been proven to work on the ds4, plus as Minstadave says' there's a lot more scope for overclocking.

Soldato
OP
Well, I was pretty disappointed with the GSkill RAM, as I know a lot of people have good things to say about them - but these things happen.

Especially with something as new as the Conroe and it's motherboards.

Caporegime
Slogan said:
Well, I was pretty disappointed with the GSkill RAM, as I know a lot of people have good things to say about them - but these things happen.

Especially with something as new as the Conroe and it's motherboards.

I think the problems with the Gskill are part them setting the SPD too tight and Gigabyte not allowing enough boot up voltage, daft really.

Back
Top Bottom