Quick raid0 question

Man of Honour
gorebrush is right here but I should also mention that you will need to 'build' the array which deletes what is already on the drives and then format them, can I ask why you want a Raid0 setup? From your question I'd surmise(maybe wrongly) that you don't know too much about it at the moment so you might be setting one up when you won't get much benefit.

Associate
semi-pro waster said:
gorebrush is right here but I should also mention that you will need to 'build' the array which deletes what is already on the drives and then format them, can I ask why you want a Raid0 setup? From your question I'd surmise(maybe wrongly) that you don't know too much about it at the moment so you might be setting one up when you won't get much benefit.

Yes, just as an example.

I use RAID-0 on a pair of 36Gb Western Digital Raptors, connected to an Adaptec SA1210 SATA PCI Card. When this card is added, it adds a new screen to the POST process of the PC before Windows starts loading.

From there I am offered "Press CTRL-A to enter Adaptec Setup"

(or something similar)

From there I have to go in and build an array as semi pro waster rightly points out. This is so the card knows how to handle both disks, and effectively control them "as one" at a hardware level. When I then run Windows Setup, it then sees this as One Logical Disk, as opposed to two Physical ones.

Do you need to know more about how RAID-0 functions?

Soldato
Using two different drives will probably negate any positive effects of having a RAID0 Array. In other words dont bother unless the disks are the same.

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom