Do the core have bad contact with the IHS?

Associate
Hi. I've been suspecting the IHS on my x2 3800+ to have bad contact with the core for a long time. Core 1 always fails before core 2 in prime95, so I now checked the temp in everst ultimate. It turned out core 1 is a lot warmer than core 2. Do you guys think the core have bad contact with the IHS? I've been wanting to remove it for some time, but don't have the guts to do it, nor do I have anything to train with :D

index.php

Last edited:
Soldato
yes mate bad heatspredder contact there. chop off the heat spreadder but make sure first that your cpu cooler will work with the heat spredder removed. if you have something like the big typhoon that uses mounting brackets then you will have no problem since you can just tighten up the bolts more to get the contact better.

Associate
OP
Cyber-Mav said:
if it uses nuts and bolts to attach to the cpu then yes it will work. if it uses the pressure clip thingy then you will get problems.

Nah, it's screwed in place with a spring inbetween...

But I'm not sure if I want to remove it... Anyone else here who have removed their IHS from x2 3800+?(or similar cpus?)

Soldato
Big thread on this stickied in the CPU section here.

It really isn't too hard. I did mine with a razor blade and it took a couple of minutes. The trick is to cut slowly and without too much pressure. Start with the corners, then go down the sides.

however, before you do that, are you sure both cores were being equally idle or stressed? You need to run two stress test programs to make both cores run at load. if you install prime95 in two directories and run both, does the difference in core temps remain?

Associate
OP
MikeTimbers said:
Big thread on this stickied in the CPU section here.

It really isn't too hard. I did mine with a razor blade and it took a couple of minutes. The trick is to cut slowly and without too much pressure. Start with the corners, then go down the sides.

however, before you do that, are you sure both cores were being equally idle or stressed? You need to run two stress test programs to make both cores run at load. if you install prime95 in two directories and run both, does the difference in core temps remain?

yes

Associate
OP
Hesky82 said:
each core has its own independent temp sensor??? and everst can monitor each. I did not know that!!!!

Me didn't know either, until now :p

Anyway, here are two more shots to show the difference:

untitled3hx6.jpg

untitled4sz6.jpg

And as I said, core 1 ALWAYS fail a lot before core 2, which is really annoying...

Soldato
sablabra said:
Me didn't know either, until now :p

Anyway, here are two more shots to show the difference:
*snip*
And as I said, core 1 ALWAYS fail a lot before core 2, which is really annoying...

its highly unlikely you have a core idling at 22 degrees.. coretemp tells me much the same about my 3800, with a hastily fitted freezer64 pro it says one of them is idling now at 29 degrees which given the fact my house feels about level with my body temp right now is almost impossible.

Associate
OP
matt100 said:
its highly unlikely you have a core idling at 22 degrees.. coretemp tells me much the same about my 3800, with a hastily fitted freezer64 pro it says one of them is idling now at 29 degrees which given the fact my house feels about level with my body temp right now is almost impossible.

I know it's wrong, but it's still a big difference, right?

Associate
Hum, according to everst, I'm getting a difference of 10C between cores. core one being the hotter running core and core one is always the 1st to fail for me to.
Funny thing is I can leave core 2 burning away and it still runs cooler than core 1 :confused:
like Creidiki says, I'm not sure how accurate coretemp is.

either way I should have my ihs removed already lol

Associate
OP
Hesky82 said:
Hum, according to everst, I'm getting a difference of 10C between cores. core one being the hotter running core and core one is always the 1st to fail for me to.
Funny thing is I can leave core 2 burning away and it still runs cooler than core 1 :confused:
like Creidiki says, I'm not sure how accurate coretemp is.

either way I should have my ihs removed already lol

Hmm, could be some kind of bug then? :confused:
What mobo you got?

Actually I had added 10c to the core temp. I turned that off, so now I'm about 5c under ambient :D

untitled5se2.jpg

Associate
OP
Cyber-Mav said:
remove the heatspreadder and then run the test. im sure the cores will be both level in temps and clock a silly amount higher.

Yeah, I want to do that, but I'm affraid I will destroy the cpu. Either by chopping off resistors, or cracking the core :(

Soldato
sablabra said:
Yeah, I want to do that, but I'm affraid I will destroy the cpu. Either by chopping off resistors, or cracking the core :(

RMA it, say its unstable and show them pictures of it (core 1) overheating (if needed)
And hope they will send u a correctly working one...

If impossible to RMA or you dont want to, then its either remove the ihs or live with one overheating core...

Associate
OP
snowdog said:
RMA it, say its unstable and show them pictures of it (core 1) overheating (if needed)
And hope they will send u a correctly working one...

If impossible to RMA or you dont want to, then its either remove the ihs or live with one overheating core...

Well, it's not exactly unstable, it's 100% prime95 stable up to 2.5ghz at stock volts... So I don't think I will have a good chance in RMAing it :p

Associate
OP
I seriously can not believe the difference in temperature here! :eek:
In this pic I'm only stressing core 2(core 1 is called core 0 in prime95, core 2 is called core 1 :p ), and still core 1 is 24c warmer!! Also, when the cpu is nice and heated like now, the second I start stress testing core 1, the computer hangs... The second I start it! So this means I can might gain up to 200mhz by removing the IHS? :D I'm running 2.8ghz 24/7, although core 1 isn't prime95 stable... Core 2 seems to be very stable at 2.9ghz, haven't tested further(will certainly do now!)

untitled6eu3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom