LOL @ Dell

Soldato
1. They are a competitor (although I guess OcUK do sell some of their products)

2. News of the recall broke yesterday, if I recall correctly, and we've known about exploding batteries for a good few months now

3. What exactly is the point in this thread?

Last edited:

Mul

Mul

Associate
Yeah I had to access the dellbatteryprogram site to check if my Inspiron 510m was at risk. The battery doesn't appear to be on the recall list so I'm fine luckily.

Mul

Associate
I'm amazed some people seem to think this is funny. Imagine the situation if one such laptop battery were to explode on a plane, or on the lap of a user.

Man of Honour
They're not a competitor, OcUK have clearly stated this before and it's due to the fact that they offer extremely differing things and that OcUK would never try or even think about trying to compete with them.

Unlucky to the poor sods who bought laptops with those batteries though :(

Permabanned
Zefan said:
They're not a competitor, OcUK have clearly stated this before and it's due to the fact that they offer extremely differing things and that OcUK would never try or even think about trying to compete with them.

Unlucky to the poor sods who bought laptops with those batteries though :(

Er don't they sell PC's printers and networking equipment etc !!

Soldato
They are only a competitor if they are directly selling the same product.

For instance, you would buy your Dell monitors and Dell laptops only from OcUK. :)

For a better example, you can mention Tescos for buying socks and food, but mentioning about buying computer hardware and it would be a competitor.

Soldato
Dell laptop battery explodes during a conference :eek:

dellexplodesql7.jpg

Permabanned
Yewen said:
They are only a competitor if they are directly selling the same product.

For instance, you would buy your Dell monitors and Dell laptops only from OcUK. :)

For a better example, you can mention Tescos for buying socks and food, but mentioning about buying computer hardware and it would be a competitor.

But I could also buy the same equipment from Dell that OcUK stock couldn't i?

Im not trying to be clever or stir anything up and I do understand that in the sense of sheer volume maybe they may not be a competitor but i just think that it is open to abuse!

Associate
sphen said:
I'm amazed some people seem to think this is funny. Imagine the situation if one such laptop battery were to explode on a plane, or on the lap of a user.

If I threw a custard pie in the face of someone while their laptop was exploding, would we be allowed to laugh then?

Karma if you ask me. My friend enquired about buying 100 Dell laptops, and was told the delivery charge would be £5000! Yikes.

Soldato
Slinwagh said:
But I could also buy the same equipment from Dell that OcUK stock couldn't i?

Im not trying to be clever or stir anything up and I do understand that in the sense of sheer volume maybe they may not be a competitor but i just think that it is open to abuse!

In that sense, Dell are a competitor and should not be mentioned. ;)

There used to be a blanket ban on the name, but due to the montiors, PDA and Laptops it has been lifted. If it gets abused I can quite imagine the blanket ban being enforced again.

Soldato
banja said:
If I threw a custard pie in the face of someone while their laptop was exploding, would we be allowed to laugh then?

Karma if you ask me. My friend enquired about buying 100 Dell laptops, and was told the delivery charge would be £5000! Yikes.

£5000? Sounds like bull to me, even going on as a non-corporate account buyer the charge is only £2000 on 100 machines. Last time I purchased using our corporate account for 30 machines in one go the delivery charge was waived which a quick call to your account manager can take care of. You friend is either a liar or you are exagerating in order to make your point somehow true IMO.
I fail to see in what way its karma for Dell if Sony cocks up with making duff batteries? Was happy to find mine isnt on the list which is good to know when its sat at home on charge with a baby in the house.

Soldato
Well at least Dell are doing something about it and getting it sorted. My Dad bought a Dell Laptop recently - wonder if it has to be returned. Seems like its Sony's fault anyhow - in fact if I were Dell i would be seriously miffed and would want to kick some sony ass.

There used to be a blanket ban on the name, but due to the montiors, PDA and Laptops it has been lifted. If it gets abused I can quite imagine the blanket ban being enforced again.

Probly just me but does anyone else find that highly amusing? Dunno why, just seems wierd in this day and age not to be able to say a word. :) I think i have a strange sense of humour. I guess its because i just cant relate to censorship.

Back
Top Bottom