The Great OcUK Rock Music Questionnaire - 20-28yr olds

Soldato
I thought this might be an interesting idea for the forum and would give a nice gauge of everyone's different musical tastes across the generations.

Basically there will be three discussion threads in which people of the set age group can post a selection of answers to music related questions. The idea is to get a broader view of what artists different generations rate and feel have made a big impact on their listening. I want to try and keep it as condensed as possible, so there will only be a few categories. If it goes well, I'll consider adding more categories later.

Age groups:-

<14-19yrs old - Link
20-28yrs old - Link
29yrs old+ - Link

On to the categories and a brief description of them:-

Age:- More out of interest to guage if there's much split within the generations.

A. Five favourite bands.

This one is as simple as it sounds. List your five favourite overall bands, not just the latest bands you like at the minute but the five bands you consistently find yourself listening to. Rate them as follows:-

B. Most influential bands of our generation.

This one is a bit more involved. List the top five bands who you think have made the biggest contribution to music since you've been listening to music.

C. Most influential bands of all time.

This one encompasses all the bands since Chuck Berry first picked up a guitar :) Again, top five.

The questionnaire will be open until the 25th of August.

Once that date closes, I'll announce the winners for each age category and the overall winners based on number of votes in each category.

I'd also really like there do be some high quality discussion and reasons given for your choices. This should hopefully get some good debate going over bands who some people might not have heard before. Try and keep it as civilised as possible and don't let it turn into arguments such as 'X is far better than Y because Y suck'.

Also, try and stick to your own thread! Tempting though it might be to poke the kids or the geriatrics in the eye with your musical stick of knowledge, it'll also be interesting to see who can produce the best discussion topic!

Let the discussion commence!

Last edited:
Associate

A. Five favourite bands.

This one is as simple as it sounds. List your five favourite overall bands, not just the latest bands you like at the minute but the five bands you consistently find yourself listening to. Rate them as follows:-

1. The Hamsters
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Patto
4. Richard Thompson
5. Rory Gallagher

This one is a bit more involved. List the top five bands who you think have made the biggest contribution to music since you've been listening to music.

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. The Beatles
3. Black Sabbath
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Sex Pistols

This one encompasses all the bands since Chuck Berry first picked up a guitar Again, top five.

1. Robert Johnson
2. Muddy Waters
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Bob Dylan

Not in any order of anything, i can't do it, :o

Quite hard as always to be limited to 5 :p, but thats how i did..

Last edited:
Soldato

A. Five favourite bands.

1. Rise Against,
2. Sage Francis,
3. AFI,
4. Glassjaw,
5. Alkaline Trio (maybe Cursive)

1. At the Drive-In - Influecnced so many bands that I listen to now.
2. Refused - As above. No hardcore band that has been formed since 1999 can say that these guys weren't an influence.
3. Slayer - 25 years and certainly still reigning. Punk meets metal from a band who have nothing left to prove. People still draw influence from them. It's apparent throughout metal.
4. Sick of it All - One of the definative hardcore bands of the time and, just like Slayer, still doing it to this day. Another band with nothing left to prove and they pretty much created the sound that many hardcore punk bands, and metalcore bands, borrow from so heavily.
5. The Offspring. I changed this because after thinking about it, they came along at the right time and took over from the grunge scene (Smash did come out the day Kurt was pronoucned dead) and were fortunate enough to be influencial at two important points. Firstly in the sense that they made Epitaph records huge (11 million album sales on an indie) and managed to pave the way for other bands in the underground punk scene to be noticed and secondly, they managed to make pop-punk even bigger via Americana in 98.

This one encompasses all the bands since Chuck Berry first picked up a guitar :) Again, top five.

This is weird because I've picked bands that I feel are most influential relative to the music that I listen too. Not bands that were influential as a whole to the devlopment of popular music, or mainstream music.

1. Slayer - No one even comes close. People still form bands off the back of listening to a Slayer record. There really is no denying how much they have changed the face of metal.
2. Pantera - Like Slayer, many metal bands borrow from Pantera. Although I would argue that many more metal bands borrow from Pantera style over all. I also hold them single handly resonsible for nu-metal because every single riff ever used in a nu metal song is/was just a slowed down or butchered Pantera riff minus the balls, the flair and the attitude.
3. Iron Madien - Manged to influence an entire generation. Then nu-metal and grunge happened. They suddenly within the past 6 or 7 years their influence is again coming through in many diffrent types of metal music. From power metal to metallic hardcore.
4. The Clash - Every single goddamn indie "we-sound-like-we're-going-to-fall-apart" stutter guitar riffage band are stealing from these guys. They managed to keep punk alive on this side of the atlantic through the 80s. Simple tunes that is making generation after generation pick up a guitar and dream. They may have lacked the initial impact of the Pistols at the time, but there is no denying that they're far more influential. Also proved that punk wasn't a fashion statement but an ethic with intelligence. An iconic band who still stand for so much to this day and prove that crazily complex musicianship need not always apply.
5. Black Flag - There would be no hardcore without these guys, it's that simple.

Last edited:
Soldato

A. Five favourite bands.

1. Ryan Adams
2. Pixies
3. Weezer
4. Rilo Kiley
5. Modest Mouse

1. Nirvana
2. Pixies
3. REM
4. The Cure
5. Radiohead

1. Beatles
2. The Kinks
3. Elvis Presley
4. Bob Dylan
5. Woody Guthrie

Man of Honour
A.

1. The Stone Roses
2. Oasis
3. U2
4. The Beatles
5. The Jam

B.

1. The Stone Roses
2. Oasis
3. Primal Scream
4. Joy Division
5. U2

C.

1. The Beatles
2. The Beach Boys
3. The Rolling Stones
4. The Eagles
5. Hendrix

Man of Honour
Man of Honour

A. Five favourite bands.

1. Shed 7
2. Oasis
3. The Beatles
4. Ocean Colour Scene
5. Fun Lovin' Criminals

1. Oasis
2. The Cure
3. Madness
4. U2
5. Guns n Roses

1. The Beatles
2. Chuck Berry
3. The Clash
4. The Who
5. The Rolling Stones

Soldato
A. Five favourite bands.

1.Placebo
2.Snow Patrol
3.Foo Fighters
4.Linkin Park
5.Stereophonics

1.U2
2.Prodigy
3.Oasis
4.Nirvana
5.Greenday

1.The Beatles
2.U2
3.Guns n Roses
4.Rolling Stones
5.Sting and the Police

fuz

fuz

Associate

A.

1. The Stone Roses
2. Rush
3. The Beatles
4. Led Zeppelin
5. Foo Fighters

B.

1. Nirvana
2. Oasis
3. Guns N Roses
4. U2
5. Radiohead

C.

1. The Beatles
2. Buddy Holly
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Pink Floyd
5. The Sex Pistols

Soldato
OP

A. Five favourite bands.

1. Queens of the Stone Age - Four intense albums (more if you include Kyuss) and devastating in their heyday live.
2. Pearl Jam - One of the tightest bands on the face of the earth, album after album of quality material and one of rocks best singers.
3. Smashing Pumpkins - Same as above.
4. Tool - Same as above.
5. Weezer - Arguably a far more bubblegum choice, but great songwriting, a really enjoyable live show and great lyrics.

1. At The Drive-In - Very little needs to be said that hasn't been said in my thread about them - here
2. Refused - In the short time they were together they pushed things forward exponentially and spawned a lot of imitators
3. Rage Against The Machine - What can you say, political, angry, all amazing musicians and arguably the forefathers of the whole 'nu-metal' explosion along with the Deftones
4. Nirvana - A band I find hard to listen to in anything but the smallest doses, they were responsible for sweeping away the cataclysm that was hair metal. They also opened the door for a lot of other even better bands who would possibly not have been signed without their success - Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins
5. Radiohead - Their sound has evolved immensely since the (sadly) underrated Pablo Honey, they've also given us some of the most anthemic songs of our generation. They also created Muse, which for Showbiz and Origin was a great thing, less so nowadays.

1. The Who - They basically invented rock and live performance as we know it today. Their music still holds up extremely well and they still outclass a lot of young bands with their live act.
2. Iron Maiden - Created popular metal as we know it today. Influenced scores of bands, including Metallica - who probably wouldn't exist without the Irons.
3. The Beatles - Almost single-handedly created the pop music industry. Before Beatlemania there hadn't been such a wide fanbase for a pop music band. I personally can't stand a lot of their material, but they were hugely influential.
4. Bob Dylan - I was torn between Cat Stevens and Bobbo here, but for the furtherment of folk music and political action I have to give it to Dylan.
5. Nine Inch Nails - Totally different to 99% of what was going on when they first surfaced. They would deserve to be in here for 'The Fragile' alone practically, but when you look at the comprehensive body of work and the live performance aspect they're a shoe in for this category.

Try to have a bit of discussion as well as just posting your choices!

Soldato
A. Five favourite bands.

1. Led Zeppelin
2. Manic Street Preachers
3. The Libertines
4. The Kinks
5. The White Stripes

1. Oasis
2. The Libertines
3. Radiohead
4. The Stone Roses
5. The White Stripes

1. Led Zeppelin
2. The Beatles
3. The Rolling Stones
4. The Ramones
5. Pink Floyd

Associate

A. Five favourite bands.

1. Pink Floyd
2. Dream Theater
3. Alice in Chains
4. Radiohead
5. Led Zeppelin

1. Alice in Chains
2. Oasis
3. Air
4. Korn (not a big fan but they pretty much tread the path for nu-metal)
5. Muse

This one encompasses all the bands since Chuck Berry first picked up a guitar Again, top five.

1. The Beatles
2. Led Zeppelin
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. Pink Floyd
5. Velvet Underground

Jet

Jet

Soldato
Age - 21

A

1. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
2. Mando Diao
3. Ben Kweller
4. Spoon
5. Jackson Browne

I'm not going to bother with B and C because I don't have strong opinions either way and don't feel that people have as much influence as people say they do. If that means my results aren't really helpful and can't be used then so be it.

Caporegime
Age:- 25 More out of interest to guage if there's much split within the generations.

A. Five favourite bands.

1. The Stone Roses
2. Oasis
3. Nirvana
4. Linkin Park
5. Green Day

1. Stone Roses
2. Nirvana
3. U2
4. Green Day
5. Michael Jackson

1. The Beatles
2. The Sex Pistols
3. Nirvana
4. David Bowie
5. Elvis

Last edited:
Permabanned
Age 28

A. Five favourite bands.

1. The Stone Roses
2. Oasis
3. The Zutons
4. Muse
5. The Rolling Stones

1. The Stone Roses
2. Oasis
3. Guns & Roses
4. The Prodigy
5. Rage Against The Machine

1. The Beatles
2. The Rolling Stones
3. Led Zepplin
4. Jimi Hendrix
5. The Clash

Man of Honour
Soldato
Age 21
IceBus said:
A. Five favourite bands.

1. Dropkick Murphys
  2. The Ramones
  3. Led Zeppelin
  4. Rolling Stones
  5. ZZ Top

1. Metallica
  2. Nirvana
  3. Green Day
  4. Van Halen
  5. Run DMC

1. Jimi Hendrix
  2. Led Zeppelin
  3. The Beatles
  4. Nirvana
  5. Pink Floyd

Last edited:
Soldato
Age 24

A. Five favourite bands.

1. The Smashing Pumpkins
2. Muse
3. U2
4. The Cure
5. The Smiths

1. U2
2. The Cure
3. Radiohead
4. Nirvana
5. Oasis

1. The Beatles
2. Michael Jackson
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. The Smiths
5. Led Zeppelin

Last edited:
Associate

A.

1. Feeder
2. Muse
3. Mansun
4. Foo Fighters
5. Ash

B.

1. U2
2. The Stone Roses
3. Radiohead
4. The White Stripes
5. Nirvana

C.

1. The Who
2. The Rolling Stones
3. Jimi Hendrix
4. The Sex Pistols
5. The Beatles

Soldato

A. Five favourite bands.

1. DJ Tiesto - love his beats, if I am undecided about which dance/trance tune I want to listen to, he is a safe choice
2. Giannis Ploutarxos (Greek pop) - cheesy love schmaltz, but it sounds good and helps with the homesickness
3. Rage Against the Machine - Political lyrics, hard guitar sounds, catchy tunes, what else do you want?
4. Jimmy Hendrix - Calms me down, lets me work easily
5. Stratos Dionisiou (Greek...rebetiko) - bit cheesy, rebetiko-ish, again helps with homesickness - Alternatively, I woudl have chosen Anna Vissi for 5th, but she sounds too similar to Tiesto to deserve a mention

1. Oasis - to me, their arrival made me notice the existence of Brit rock/pop
2. Rage Against the Machine - started a new genre, need I say more?
3. Nirvana - not only started a new genre, but a new youth sub-culture too
4. Soundgarden - a combination of re-discovering rock, adding new influences, and just plain good
5. Britney Spears you didn't say "positive" influential contribution :p she was a veeeeeeeeeeeeery negative influence on music and its been downhill since, as I hold her personally responsible for all the girly pop crap that has been polluting our ears for almost 10 years now

1. Jimmy Hendrix - he became one with his guitar - no one before him, or since him, has managed this
2. Pink Floyd - legends - history of rock can not be explained without them
3. Rolling Stones - legends - have defined and shaped rock since it turned mainstream
4. The Who -legends - like the Stones, have been forming and shaping it since its inception
5. Grateful Dead - legends in their own right

Last edited:
Soldato

A. Five favourite bands.

1. Slipknot
2. Slayer
3. Chimaira
4. Nirvana
5. Pantera

1. Nirvana
2. Queen
3. Slipknot
4. SOAD
5. Pantera

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Queen
3. Slayer
4. Nirvana
5. ACDC/Motorhead

Soldato

A. Five favourite bands

1.Mad capsule markets
2.Rage against the machine
3.The misfits
4.Phoenix
5.Bloc party

1.Guns and roses
2.KoRn
3.Coldplay
4.Nivarna
5.Oasis

1.Jimi hendrix
2.Sex pistols
3.Beatles
4.Rolling stones
5.Queen

Back