Asetek or Alphacool water kit

Associate
Hi guys,
I'm looking to purchase another waterkit...regret selling my swiftech kit :( anyway with the case i have ( mountain mods bob slay) can only really fit a single radiator externally...so i've short listed these two kits, which out of the following would be the better kit?

AlphaCool Xtreme Pro 120 Rev.2 12V Water Cooling Kit
tis the same as the cool answer 2, minus vga block and only has single rad

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Alphacool.html

Asetek waterchill High End Cpu cooling kit 120mm/ Radiator fan

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Waterchill_Kits.html

I'm leaning more towards the alphacool kit, but any input would be great.

Thanks in advance

Associate
OP
smids said:
Don't get either. Get a single heatercore and use that instead with a nice pump (D5, AqX 50z) and perhaps something like the AqX MP-05 LE.

Hiya....was looking at a custom kit, but thought it might end up being more difficult to fit, hmmmm looks like it's a custom kit again *l*
Would the heatercore be better than say a thermochill pa-120 radiator?

Soldato
Not sure tbh. The PA's are excellent rads - obviously one of the best but I think a single heatercore might just edge it with a good pump and a decent shroud. Plus the single heatercore only costs £20 so is a fair whack cheaper than a PA120.1.

Put it this way, a single heatercore is about as good as a normal 120.2 (not the PA's where it's pretty even/PA's might edge it). Put a good shroud, nice fans etc and a heatercore can cool a GPU and CPU to a good level. The PA's are excellent though, but you can't put a heatercore down but at less than half the price.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
smids said:
Not sure tbh. The PA's are excellent rads - obviously one of the best but I think a single heatercore might just edge it with a good pump and a decent shroud. Plus the single heatercore only costs £20 so is a fair whack cheaper than a PA120.1.

Put it this way, a single heatercore is about as good as a normal 120.2 (not the PA's where it's pretty even/PA's might edge it). Put a good shroud, nice fans etc and a heatercore can cool a GPU and CPU to a good level. The PA's are excellent though, but you can't put a heatercore down but at less than half the price.

Hi...I like the sound of those heatercore rads :) ok how does this basic kit sound

1/2 fittings
single Heatcore radiator
AquaXtreme MP05 SP LE waterblock
Alphacool Laing 12v Pump & Resevoir
10ft masterkleer pvc 7/16 id tubing
Nexus orange 120mm fan
1/2 barbs for rad/ pump and waterblock
Hose clips.

Soldato
Sounds good. Is that the Laing DDC+ With alphacool modded top i.e. the good DCC which outperforms the AqX 50Z and D5? If so, good choice.

You might want some shrouds for the heatercore. I made my own out of cardboard :D but you can get proper shrouds. I prefer custom made though because you can get an exact fit:

Corrugated cardboard box
Scissors
The legendary gaffer tape
a ruler.

That's how I did mine :D.

Soldato
Also you may want to consider the PA 160 rad from Thermochill. I am not sure on the price of the thing but from the comparisons I have seen it looks like a very nice rad for its size. Just thought I would throw it into the equation.

Associate
OP
smids said:
Sounds good. Is that the Laing DDC+ With alphacool modded top i.e. the good DCC which outperforms the AqX 50Z and D5? If so, good choice.

You might want some shrouds for the heatercore. I made my own out of cardboard :D but you can get proper shrouds. I prefer custom made though because you can get an exact fit:

Corrugated cardboard box
Scissors
The legendary gaffer tape
a ruler.

That's how I did mine :D.

Yeah i'm pretty sure it's the laing ddc+ pump and yes can't agree more with the custom built shroud ;) a touch of blue peter *lol* thanks for all your advice btw.

AFK_Matrix the pa-160 radiator was originally the rad i was going for...then i talked myself out of a custom kit, now i've had my mind changed again..i need to order before it changes back *l* does look a great radiator though it's between that one / heatercore or pa-120.
Just need to find a site now that stocks the aquaXtreme MP05 SP LE waterblock in the uk.

Associate
Another vote for the PA160 here - great rad. Just make sure you can fit it into your case if you are planning to install it inside. Its pretty big along with its shroud. :)

Soldato
cypriobrit said:
Another vote for the PA160 here - great rad. Just make sure you can fit it into your case if you are planning to install it inside. Its pretty big along with its shroud. :)
It also costs £55.... It's an excellent rad but the expense...

Associate
OP
Hi guys...thanks for all the input :)
Ok...i've finally made my mind up, going to go for a thermochill pa-160, the expense is killing me but hopefully it will be worth it :p
just looked and the laing 12v pump / reservoir isn't the ultra version...but will it still be sufficient ?
what 120mm fan should i go for? i'm after a quiet one, but one that provides enough airflow...i've got two led silenX fans..but i've been told the specifications are pretty misleading to what the actual performance is like.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
Get the D5 or AqX 50Z then. AqX50Z will dump less heat and because you are 'only' using a PA160, might be worth it for the 16W less 'heat'. Fans - have a look at some nexus fans (basically Yate-Loons) which seems to be all the rave at the moment. If you want better cooling whilst maintaining quiet performance, look no further than a Panaflo M1 on a fan controller or an L1. These are 38mm thick and provide more static pressure which is better.

Permabanned
you wont need the static pressure of a 38mm fan with the PA rads, they are so far ahead of the other rads its unfair on the others tbh.

smids is keeping you on good course.

custom kits, installed professionally ;) is the way forward.

I know a certain shop which has yateloons in stock :D

Soldato
welshtom said:
you wont need the static pressure of a 38mm fan with the PA rads, they are so far ahead of the other rads its unfair on the others tbh.

smids is keeping you on good course.

custom kits, installed professionally ;) is the way forward.

I know a certain shop which has yateloons in stock :D
True Tom, but.... you can run them even quieter for the same pressure/airflow as a 25mm ;).

And of course I'm keeping him on a good course *scoffs at any suggestion this was anything other than the right course*. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom