• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which Amd 939?

Soldato
Ok another quick question,

Which is the better of these two CPUs for photoshoppery and very very light gaming.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ 1mb cache 2.2ghz
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ 512kb cache 2.4ghz

Both the same price, is the cache going to make a big enough differance for my applications to offset the speed differance.

little old me and answered very quickly said:
Hi, little help required please.

Im finding my XP3500 a little on the slow side for photo editting and Im wanting to upgrade, im just wondering what the fastest chip available is that will fit my motherboard, ive got an old Abit AN8-Fatal1ty.

The software im using will happily support dual-core processors, but im struggling to find any info on the Abit site regarding compatibility.

Thanks for any help and advise, Darryn.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok another quick question,

Which is the better of these two CPUs for photoshoppery and very very light gaming.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ 1mb cache 2.2ghz
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ 512kb cache 2.4ghz

Both the same price, is the cache going to make a big enough differance for my applications to offset the speed differance.

Soldato
OP
Cheers guys, a quick google tends to agree with Tetras, and his explanation makes sense, I will be trying to push this chip quite hard. On the other hard folk seem to suggest that the 512kb makes the chip run a lot cooler :confused: Hmmmm...... I will sleep on it and order in the morning.

Soldato
Usually more cache means it runs a little hotter and is harder to overclock, if I were you I'd personally go for the 4400+ despite this. It's based on the Toledo core which is now apparently discontinued but I can see the extra cache being a nice plus. It may not overclock as well as the Manchester cores but will make up for it with cache, should hold it's value better than the Manchester based X2s aswell. If you are thinking about the 4600+ and overclocking, may aswell pickup a second hand 3800+ that does 2.8GHz :)

Back
Top Bottom