Formula 1

JRS

JRS

Soldato
One of the better wheel-to-wheel battles in F1 history that....:)

GV really ought to have had a title in his (all too short) career. If Pironi hadn't stolen Imola '82 from him and started the feud that killed Villeneuve at the next race then he would pretty much have been assured of the title, the Ferrari was very good that year.

Soldato
Simply awesome.

I still enjoy the racing today.. and i do get excited about it.. i think if i saw that live on telly though i would explode..

Soldato
saitrix said:
See that's racing. Not these F1 races now which have about 3 overtaking manuvours.

One of the reasons I have stopped watching it now tbh. BTCC is where its at :) (I am shocked sometimes at how close the racing is on touring cars, inches away from eachothers bumpers for most of the race...fantastic)

fuz

fuz

Associate
Maybe so, and he has my respect for how he treats his accident nowdays, but his accident was far different from what these two were doing, and he admitted as much in the years afterwards about Gilles

JRS

JRS

Soldato
saitrix said:
What happened out of interest in 76?

What didn't happen....

Lauda was embroiled in the title fight with James Hunt, and was leading the championship when they got to the German GP. He had a huge accident, suffered horrific burns and was given the last rites.

He was driving 4 weeks later at Monza.....missed out on the title as he pulled out of the exceedingly wet Japanese GP saying it was too dangerous to carry on. Made amends by winning the title in '77 though.

fuz

fuz

Associate
saitrix said:
What happened out of interest in 76?

Lauda's crash at the Nurburgring spelled the end for the circuit in F1. He lost control of the car at the sweeping left hander just before bergwerk (you'll recognise it from GPL!) and flipped the car into the hillside hit another car and caught fire.

A few drivers came over to try and help (Lunger, Edwards and Merzario) and pulled him out of the car, but his helmet became loose and let fire + gases in, severly burning his face causing him to lose an ear. He went into a coma not long after and was given the last rites in hospital, although amazingly enough he was back in a ferrari 6 weeks later and lost out to James Hunt at the infamous Japanese Grand Prix later that year. Courageous stuff.

Man of Honour
JRS said:
One of the better wheel-to-wheel battles in F1 history that....:)

GV really ought to have had a title in his (all too short) career. If Pironi hadn't stolen Imola '82 from him and started the feud that killed Villeneuve at the next race then he would pretty much have been assured of the title, the Ferrari was very good that year.

Better? Better? There is nothing better than that.

What isn't reported much is what else is going on:

This is the FRENCH Grand Prix
Footage provided by FRENCH TV
Directed by a FRENCHMAN
The race is won by a FRENCHMAN
The first race win for a RENAULT and a turbo car

It just goes to show how good this battle was that Jabouille gets about 5 seconds of footage as he crosses the line.

fuz

fuz

Associate
rpstewart said:
Better? Better? There is nothing better than that.

What isn't reported much is what else is going on:

This is the FRENCH Grand Prix
Footage provided by FRENCH TV
Directed by a FRENCHMAN
The race is won by a FRENCHMAN
The first race win for a RENAULT and a turbo car

It just goes to show how good this battle was that Jabouille gets about 5 seconds of footage as he crosses the line.

And thank god he did or the only history of the race we would have today would be down to eyewitness accounts. I hate to think of all the lost footage not saved by the bbc or missed on live broadcasts. Jim Clark at Monza 67 comes to mind, the only footage i've seen is him slipstreaming in the straights, with no attention paid to the fact he overtook the whole field to take the lead after going a lap down changing a tyre early on :(

Soldato
saitrix said:
See that's racing. Not these F1 races now which have about 3 overtaking manuvours.

True. But wait until they introduce the new rear wing design that gets rid of 'dirty air' to allow better slipstream and (promise) of more overtaking!

Back
Top Bottom