Breakdown Cover

Soldato
Hard to say really imo. They all do their job but fingers crossed that you'll never have to use them. So long as you go with a repulable company then you can't go wrong. Deciding what sort of cover you want/need is the hard bit :p Just take a look on the aa/rac/greenflag wedsites.

I personally just get it free through my insurance. Never had to use it yet (touch wood) and as I don't use/need my car much then if something was to happen I don't need MEGA, SUPER, AWESOME cover. :)

Permabanned
They AA suck. On the one occasion I needed them, they took 3 HOURS to arrive, and when they did arrive, they tried to leave without towing me because they didnt have the time. I complained to head office, and they just gave me some half assed excuse.
I now just keep the numbers of all the national breakdown rescue companies in the car. At least they will actually make an effort to get to you ASAP as you are paying them on the spot.

Soldato
I'm a member of the AA through my bank account. On the 3 occasions i've needed to call them they have been average once, slightly later than i'd like another and with me inside 10 mins on the final time. I can't complaint hough, it's pretty much free :)

Caporegime
Been with the RAC ever since i passed my test, been in two broken car situations, once my dad's primera's brakes stuck on, phoned up said no i don't think you can fix the car for me so they sent a truck out to pick us up.

Second time i crashed my saxo phoned the RAC up they came to pick me up with a truck in about 20mins.

Great service.

Associate
neil-ste said:
I'm a member of the AA through my bank account. On the 3 occasions i've needed to call them they have been average once, slightly later than i'd like another and with me inside 10 mins on the final time. I can't complaint hough, it's pretty much free :)

Is that the Lloyds TSB Platinum account? thinking of getting it as well.

Associate
I've been with the AA for a few years now and they've been good the few times I've needed them.

Someone my mum works with has breakdown cover through her insurance and the only time she needed them she found out they were only willing to take her 10 miles, after that she had to pay per mile. She ended up with a bill of about 20 quid for excess miles. Why don't people ever read the small print.

Caporegime
been with the AA since i was 17, that was 6 years ago

ive called them out about 3 times since then. each time been with me in under the time i was quoted on the phone, and each time got the problem sorted with minimum of fuss

the guy didnt even quibble over the fact that i didnt have homestart, but i was at home, but just hadnt gotten round to giving them my new address yet. (sneaky i know)

Soldato
I'm currently with the RAC, not had to call them out yet thankfully, but only because I got it free from learning to drive with BSM.

I'll switch to the AA when that expires, my parents have been with them for absolutely ages and have been really happy with the service they've got.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
After a couple of years of not bothering, I joined the AA at the roadside the first and only time I ever broke down. After taking card details and charging me a £50 surcharge they were with me within 20 minutes - I was in London though at the time.

I just had the renewal notice and IIRC they only want around £45 this time round.

To be honest, the AA have to be the largest chain and you're pretty much guaranteed a minimum level of service. I wouldn't bother shopping around (and I'm the kind of person who always looks for a deal wherever possible).

Soldato
Britannia Rescue here and when I was still in my Fiesta I called them out quite a few times - pretty decent response times (using local firms to do the work) and friendly peeps too.

Non starting car/dead battery/buckled wheel (couldn't even shift the bolt to get the jack out the car)

Been very helpful for me :)

Back
Top Bottom