Why does everyone want to be slim?

Soldato
Sam Dufton said:
its because they dont want thier girlfriend being one of those slim blonde girls in small skirts that makes other mens eyes wander
interesting thought.
The same way we put a car in the garage? to hide it from prying eyes and stop it getting taken away from us?
When you live with someone you tend not to notice weight gain immediately anyway.

Soldato
sunama said:
I think a lot of people here are taking the word "thin" as meaning, anorexic-with matchstick legs and arms.

Most of the thread are talking about guys tho...about wanting to be thin themselves rather than preferring thin girls..

Thin in the context of guys i take to mean having little to no muscle..this is bad
Thin in the context of girls is the same thing but its not a bad thing in women.

Skinny is bad in both.

Soldato
Oh believe me, if I was living with someone and they put on weight I would notice. And if they asked me, I would be honest with my answer. I wouldnt want to give her confidence based on lies - I believe that she eventually find out the hard way.

Soldato
Balddog said:
Most of the thread are talking about guys tho...about wanting to be thin themselves rather than preferring thin girls..

Thin in the context of guys i take to mean having little to no muscle..this is bad
Thin in the context of girls is the same thing but its not a bad thing in women.

Skinny is bad in both.

Im actually fascinated (in a gory way) with extraordinarily then men. I was at work once and I visited a building for the first time and met some new staff members. There was a young chap, probably 20yrs old, Blonde and extraordinarly thin. His chest was thinner than my waist (and my waist is about 30"). I found myself looking at him through the corner of my eye, for fear of him turning on me and asking why I was looking at him. He looked very similar to Peter Crouch, only shorter. He was a heavy smoker (popping out for cig breaks, every so often) and looked very unhealthy.

From the perspective of a man, I think men should have thin waists and bigger chests, to create the V-shape. I'm dead against men having the beer bellies/pregnancies and over hanging breasts.

Personally I think the majority of people do prefer their partners to be slim, though there will always be exceptions to this. And Rich_L's comment on the first page of this thread answered the question orginally asked by the thread starter.

Associate
So People Stop Shouting:

You Fat ******* & Who Eat All *** Pies when you leave Greggs :p

I Bin slim all my life do a lot of running and sport, but i eat lots so if i cut my sport down i *** put on weight.

;)

egt

egt

Associate
The Indie rock bands image doesn't help, tbh. I mean, look at the likes of Pete Doherty, some youths will think he's cool and try to copy that look, but lets be honest, he looks like an unhealthy, gay wimp.

Permabanned
Never really thought about it. I am just naturally skinny. I find it hard to eat a lot, I always seem to be doing something else like working or am at the pub or playing on the PC. I just chew gum and smoke instead. I sometimes wish I had a bigger appetite cos I get full easy and am very picky about food.

If I was fat it wouldn't bother me though, you can still be good looking and have friends. but it isn't good to be "Obese".

lol egt, don't get angry at the skinny people. I would kick your fat ass. :p

Soldato
sunama said:
Im actually fascinated (in a gory way) with extraordinarily then men. I was at work once and I visited a building for the first time and met some new staff members. There was a young chap, probably 20yrs old, Blonde and extraordinarly thin. His chest was thinner than my waist (and my waist is about 30"). I found myself looking at him through the corner of my eye, for fear of him turning on me and asking why I was looking at him. He looked very similar to Peter Crouch, only shorter. He was a heavy smoker (popping out for cig breaks, every so often) and looked very unhealthy.

From the perspective of a man, I think men should have thin waists and bigger chests, to create the V-shape. I'm dead against men having the beer bellies/pregnancies and over hanging breasts.

Personally I think the majority of people do prefer their partners to be slim, though there will always be exceptions to this. And Rich_L's comment on the first page of this thread answered the question orginally asked by the thread starter.

Peter crouch is disgusting...I cringe when I see guys as thin as him..although i agree, they are somewhat morbidly fascinating..

egt

egt

Associate
iamgud said:
lol egt, don't get angry at the skinny people.

I'm not angry at naturally skinny ppl, hope it didn't come across that way.

I was answering the thread title of 'Why does everyone want to be slim?'

Part of the blame, i think, is down the Indie rock bands image. I see plenty of the beenpoles where i live who seem to be proud of having the malnourished, druggy look, even emphasizing their skinnyness by wearing skin tight trouses over their matchstick legs. They should get some dinners down 'em :D

Last edited:
Associate
egt said:
The Indie rock bands image doesn't help, tbh. I mean, look at the likes of Pete Doherty, some youths will think he's cool and try to copy that look, but lets be honest, he looks like an unhealthy, gay wimp.

To be fair, maybe the unhealthy part about him comes from the crap that he puts into his body and his lifestyle in general. Saw him on the news yesterday and he looked a little better, maybe there is hope for him yet ;)

Up until I was 21 or so, I could eat anything I wanted to and not put on weight. Then one day I was 25 and I had a belly that I wanted to get rid, not because I didn't like the look of it, but I physically felt uncomfortable, a little heavy. My motivation was my health, not my appearance, not the opposite sex.

I am now trying to increase my muscle mass and the reason for this is that it gives me greater self-confidence. I do it for myself and only myself, other people are irrelevant.

I'm not really surprised to see some people saying they dislike this or that about the physical appearance of a girl. Me personally, I couldn't care a less, it is not my problem.

What does annoy me is the value attached to looking good by much of society, to the point know where it can hinder someone from getting a job where appearance is not an issue. I guess it just means that me and the rest of society's ugly folk will have to work harder on our other attributes.

I also find one-dimensional women who have their looks and only their looks as their most important attribute rather amusing. What do they do when they fade away? I have met some good looking girls who bore me to death or are stuck up their own arse. I have met some not so good looking ones who are more interesting to talk to.

Just my 2c so go easy on me :)

</rant> ;)

Soldato
There seems to be a steretype that a good looking person is lacking in the personality department. While someone who is fat or lacking in the looks department makes up for it in personality. I find this not to be true.

Ive met unattractive people who are miserable and have met good looking people who exude charm.

Good looks + great body + great personality > Bad looks + bad body + great personality.

Permabanned
sunama said:
There seems to be a steretype that a good looking person is lacking in the personality department. While someone who is fat or lacking in the looks department makes up for it in personality. I find this not to be true.

Ive met unattractive people who are miserable and have met good looking people who exude charm.

Good looks + great body + great personality > Bad looks + bad body + great personality.

Then you have people like who are just so goddamn awesome, their looks are irrelevant so it's a happy coincidence when they're a goddamn sexual tyrranosaur....just like me.

*n

Permabanned
It's all down to sexual attraction as so many have pointed out.

If you see a bigger girl dancing around in a skimy outfit, it's not a nice sight, it doesn't work (well not for me anyway). Whereas a girl who's not that pretty but skinny, we'll still look at her body and think it's hot.

Also look at athletics, those girls are uber fit (healthy) you never see a fat althelte do you? Apart perhaps diskus (SP?)! But in general in peoples mind's if you ask 'who is fit' they think skinny, and I don't think thats incorrect.

I think it goes to far sometimes, but in general I think it's not the media, just ourselves who like skinny girls.

SKINNY GIRLS FOR THE WIN

Soldato
DAVEM said:
SKINNY GIRLS FOR THE WIN

I saw a girl walking about today she looked about 16-18 and she looked like she had just stepped out of Belsen. It was not a pretty sight and actually made me feel a bit queezy seeing all her knobbly bones poking out everywhere and her sunken cheeks. I thought that if the wind picked up she might have blown over.

There can be "too" skinny.

As for athletes, why would you want a girl that looked like a boy? I would much rather have something soft and curvy than a skinny thing with nothing but muscle and no boobies.

BOOBS AND BUMS FOR THE WIN!

As for myself I used to be a crazy exercise beast and was pretty athletic but I never ate much either. Now I would much rather sit around watching TV than exercise as it's more fun, easier to do and I no longer care if I have a bit of a belly as I would rather be happy than constantly striving to get fitter and thinner and never being satisfied.

Soldato
loopstah said:
As for athletes, why would you want a girl that looked like a boy? I would much rather have something soft and curvy than a skinny thing with nothing but muscle and no boobies.

BOOBS AND BUMS FOR THE WIN!.

Boobs and bums dont define a woman...Ironically fat men have big boobs and bums as well.

Back
Top Bottom