Who to go to for new windows?

Associate
Mum's finally decided to take the plunge and get the whole house done with new windows. Our current windows are old style metal framed ones which are really energy inefficient and are also prone to mould. She wants to replace them with nice new double glazed ones.

The only problem is she's really stuck at who to get them done by. She doesn't know whether to go for a major company(such as Safestyle or Anglia) who you'd assume would be quality and do a good job, albeit for a larger price tag. Or to go for a smaller local company who might be cheaper but have less of a reputation to go on.

Obviously price is a factor, but she's more worried about being ripped off and having it done badly than trying to get the cheapest possible windows. Has anybody had their windows done recently? Any recommendations? We’re in the Loughborough area.

Also, to avoid making a new thread about a similar subject, she wants to get the gas fire redone, we currently have a horrible old 70s thing hanging off the wall which she wants replacing with a nice real flame style gas fire. The only problem with this is that we have a back boiler, which she’s been told will need relocating.

She has the same problem here, she doesn’t know whether to go to British Gas, to get a good job done, but expensively, or to go to a local company(bearing in mind she’s already asked a couple for quotes, one has since become bankrupt and the other never turned up!). So any recommendations for this too would be great.

Thanks for any help.

Soldato
I had uPVC windows fitted recently, the feller that did them was self employed and made a complete hash of it, he ruined the carpet, knackered half of the sills, totally disregarded current fire safety legislation, fitted the wrong front door panel and left all his rubbish (all the old windows, some of the new panes that he managed to break, old concrete, old wood .. everything) in my garden, so, I'd be inclined to say go with a larger company where you might if necessary, have some comeback.

Soldato
We have a Safestyle front door. We had some problems with it and getting them to sort it out took quite some time.
The problems reoccured and again it took them a while to send someone out and if I remember rightly they never bothered calling back when they said they would.

I wouldn't recommend them.

Commissario
Ask your friends/family in the local area, also possibly look at the local councils "approved" list for contractors (many councils have a list of people they recommend for anyone getting quotes for work to be done that will be paid for with a grant).

I would avoid the big nationwide companies, as they tend to have a habit of starting off with some stpidly high quote, then "but as you're such a nice bloke, we're quiet at the moment and it's raining we'll knock 25% off..." etc ;)

Really the best bet is to ask for recommendations from people who have had the work done recently, and to check the company is properly insured etc.

[edit]
Wasn't iy safestyle who have gone "bust" at least 3 times now and reappeared with a slightly different name, run by the same people with the same staff but none of the legal obligations of their previous incarnation?

Associate
OP
Werewolf said:
Ask your friends/family in the local area, also possibly look at the local councils "approved" list for contractors (many councils have a list of people they recommend for anyone getting quotes for work to be done that will be paid for with a grant).

I would avoid the big nationwide companies, as they tend to have a habit of starting off with some stpidly high quote, then "but as you're such a nice bloke, we're quiet at the moment and it's raining we'll knock 25% off..." etc ;)

Really the best bet is to ask for recommendations from people who have had the work done recently, and to check the company is properly insured etc.

Well that's the thing, the two gas fitters that she tried were recommended by friends/coworkers of hers and that didn't turn out too well. She doesn't really know anybody who has had their windows done recently either.

I think you may be on to something with the council list though, we live on a road of council houses(ours is owned) and in the last couple of years all of the council houses have had their windows replaced. I'll suggest that to her and she can have a look, cheers:)

Soldato
DON'T GET SAFESTYLE TO DO YOUR WINDOWS!!!!!!. The fitters arnt that bad but the salesmen are appalling, expect to have them in your house for at least 3 hours and up to 8 hours. They will start off stupidly high then keep ringing their area manager to try and get a better price for you and then after a few hours they will use the "if we can take pics of the job when finished for our brochure we'll knock 10% off".

Ive been fitting windows for a couple of years now and every customer we speak to says they got a quote off safestyle and all experience the above.

Mark

Associate
I have worked in this industry for about 20 years, as a fitter, service engineer, installation manager, and surveyor.

I have worked for Everest, Anglian, BAC and a few smaller companies.

All most every company will discount to some extent Anglian will discount massively if the are trying to hit targets i.e end of the month or in the winter, the windows are'nt bad but being a big national company the fitters may have just been taken on because they are busy and arent very good, they do have good fitters but its the luck of the draw. Its the same for Everest but i think they are over priced.

Smaller local companies maybe a bit cheaper but more likely to go out of business, but you can always do a credit check on them. Generally the smaller comapanies will rely more on reputation than the bigger one, who tend to flood advertising around to get more work.

I'd say 70% of the work we get is from recomendation and the company I work for is a small well run outfit with 3 teams of fitters the ive known for 15 years or more, but were are based in Watford so no good to you.

If it were me getting new windows i would go to a local company that has a high street showroom and has previous jobs you can go and see and has been trading for some time.

Never

Sign up for anything on the night no matter what discount they offer you or whatever manager they phone the longer you leave it the lower the price will go.

Believe a word they say without checking up.

Leave the designs up to them.

Always

Make sure you are getting exactly what you want, if its not written on the contract chances are its not included.

Ask to see previous jobs.

Ask friends who they have used and who the recommend.

Make sure they are FENSA registered.

Your mum will get a much better deal if she waits until Jan or Feb everyone is slow then so bigger discount are available.

If you want to scan and eamil me the quote i'll take a look at it and let you know if you are getting a good deal. my msn is [email protected]

Permabanned
Chabsy said:
I'd say 70% of the work we get is from recomendation and the company I work for is a small well run outfit with 3 teams of fitters the ive known for 15 years or more, but were are based in Watford so no good to you.

Would be very good for me though.
The current single glazing that I have in the top 3 bedrooms has resulted in my pulling off the plasterboard surrounding all 3 bedrooms now.

Do you work for Bridgewater?

Back
Top Bottom