FAO cyKey, TerraS re: Toronto

Associate
FAO cyKey, TerraS re: Toronto, ***Now with pics!***

Hi guys

I'm in Toronto for a week on business and will have about 6 hours on Saturday for a brief bit of sight-seeing. What would your reccomendations be for the top couple of things to see and do?

Unfortunately I don't have my 20D with me (baggage restrictions...) but I do have my Ixus.

Many thanks
Adam

Last edited:
Soldato
Oooh eck. Hmmmmm. If you like heights then the CN Tower. The Eaton Center is cool, lots of shops. Just by there you have Dundas Square which always has something going on. Queens Street is awesome. I loved it. So many independant places. Condom Shack if need be ;) Theres a little place where you can get a pancake to go too! Kensington Market is also cool. Its a little road but its full of life. The best view of Toronto is from the Island at sunset. You can get a ferry from the dock every 30 mins or so till like 10pm ish. Oooh the University is stunning. Its like the size of Liverpool with great buildings in. Theres a tour bus which is good to ride on, you'll see a lot of the city from that. You can get it at Union Station.

Damn I miss that place. Take me with you? :D

You could check my shots from Toronto and see if you like any places. They should all have info on them.

Associate
OP
cyKey said:
Oooh eck. Hmmmmm. If you like heights then the CN Tower. The Eaton Center is cool, lots of shops. Just by there you have Dundas Square which always has something going on. Queens Street is awesome. I loved it. So many independant places. Condom Shack if need be ;) Theres a little place where you can get a pancake to go too! Kensington Market is also cool. Its a little road but its full of life. The best view of Toronto is from the Island at sunset. You can get a ferry from the dock every 30 mins or so till like 10pm ish. Oooh the University is stunning. Its like the size of Liverpool with great buildings in. Theres a tour bus which is good to ride on, you'll see a lot of the city from that. You can get it at Union Station.
That's fantastic, thanks! I'll do some research with your info and a map
Damn I miss that place. Take me with you? :D
:)
You could check my shots from Toronto and see if you like any places. They should all have info on them.
Actually, your website was one of the first places I went to look at, but your web hosting appears to be down at the mo?

Cheers for all the info :D

Soldato
AdWright said:
That's fantastic, thanks! I'll do some research with your info and a map
:)
Actually, your website was one of the first places I went to look at, but your web hosting appears to be down at the mo?

Cheers for all the info :D

Damn I've been hearing that too often recently. I'm going to have to run some tests. Enjoy Toronto. Its amazing.

Soldato
Glad to hear you're visiting Toronto. You've missed the heatwave - we are on "ordinary weather" again right now. Nice and sunny though. :)
cyKey's list of stuff to do is good. Another place to go is Casa Loma - some good shots can be had outside if you get a blue sky and there are some haunted bits too along with dark tunnels. :)

Toronto Island will probably take you longer than 6 hours to be honest, and deserves a day to itself.

I'd go with the CN Tower early in the morning (less people waiting), then the best steak ever at Milestones (Queen St / John Street) by the cinema. Then head to Casa Loma in the afternoon. Be sure to get a day pass for the TTC (buses, trains, streetcars etc). $8.50 for unlimited travel for a day. On the weekends, you can bring a friend with you for free. :)

I think I'm busy this Saturday, otherwise we could have met up. Have a great time anyway. :)

Edit: Don't forget to go to Second Cup. They have the best coffee (Starbucks stole the coffee house concept from them!) and ask for a Peaches & Cream smoothie - they are amazing!

Soldato
Niagara is like Blackpool. Great to stop by for a couple of days, take in the sights so you can say you've been there but its very touristy. The interesting thing is that I saw a book about Niagara and it showed a completely different view of it. I was like "Eh? I didn't see any of this".

Associate
OP
Only had a few hours on Saturday, but I managed to get around a little, and went up to the top of the CN Tower.

1. The CN Tower
IMG_2318.jpg

cnsepia.jpg

3. The Financial District
IMG_2382.jpg

4. Don't look down - the glass floor of the CN Tower
IMG_2372.jpg

Associate
OP
cyKey said:
Cool shots :D I think I have the same shoes! Got them from Next?
Yes, lol :)
Toronto looks quite different from the CN Tower.
Some great views from up there, but unfortunately it was a fairly grey/hazy day. As TerraS said though, for anyone visiting, get there for when it opens at nine for no queues whatsoever. When I descended at 10.30, there were hundreds of people queueing.
How did you find the place? Don't say a map :p

I found that everyone I met in the city, including restaurant staff, attendants at the Tower, transportation drivers, cab drivers, cops standing at intersections, and random people in the street and bars were probably the most friendly I have ever met. Everyone had time for a chat! This made the whole experience of my long and tiring week of work a lot more pleasant!

Soldato
AdWright said:
I found that everyone I met in the city, including restaurant staff, attendants at the Tower, transportation drivers, cab drivers, cops standing at intersections, and random people in the street and bars were probably the most friendly I have ever met. Everyone had time for a chat! This made the whole experience of my long and tiring week of work a lot more pleasant!

We don't normally have that many cops at intersections, but there is a major waterfront redevelopment, so they are there to direct traffic. :)

Looks like you had a good time. :)

Soldato
TerraS said:
We don't normally have that many cops at intersections, but there is a major waterfront redevelopment, so they are there to direct traffic. :)

Looks like you had a good time. :)

Unless they're out on a powertrip looking to bust a tourist for j walking or something :)

Back
Top Bottom