Plasma or LCD...advice needed

Associate
LCD's and Plasma's are generally getting better and better, my advice would be is too take a couple of your favourite dvd's, don't take films such as Toy Story, Shrek or that type of film as these tend to look good on any set, King Kong is a good movie to test a system, and go and demo both LCD's and Plasma's and see what your eyes tell you. I watch a lot of football and at the time I brought my Pioneer Plasma LCD's were generally poor at displaying fast moving pictures, though from what I have read this is better now.

Suspended
That's because of Plasma's superior black levels so have have higher contrast ratio. This isn't that same as "which has higher actual contrast?"

Caporegime
austinpowers said:
Most plasma's have a high contrast ratio, some even as high as 10,000:1, lcd's usually have around 1000:1 max.

So it's the plasma's that have the higher contrast ratio ;)

take a look at this months home cinema

after calibration the panasonic was tested to have an approx contrast rating of 300:1

the 37" toshiba WLT66 on the other hand was found to have 600:1 after calibration.

not that it matters though, as they gave both TVs the recommended award so i dont think there was any bias.

Soldato
Oops Dead Again said:
Go for the Pioneer xde stunning display, especially playing my 360 through it.Chaparral how are you finding the Pioneer?

Loving it..I don't think i could have picked a more sexy looking TV with top rate PQ to match the looks..

Plus i have spend hours on hours playing PGR3 on it with my xbox360 and i had no image retention problems at all..

Soldato
Most Plasma panels these days get around the image retention problem by pixel-shifting. The entire picture will be shifted by a pixel in either a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction. For example the picture will be shifted a pixel to the right, then a pixel down, then a pixel to the left, then a pixel up, repeat ad infinitum. This is imperceptable to the naked eye from normal viewing distances.

Associate
Trust your own eyes.I debated this my self and ended up with LCD which I am very happy with.Depends what you want to do with the screen.Pricing may also be a consideration.Look through reveiews narrow down you models and audition them with material you know well.Always go with what you like the best not what you are told otherwise you may regret an expensive purchase.Both LCD and Plasma have their own merits but as I say its horses for courses

Soldato
OP
johnson said:
plasma has been on a downward spiral for a while now. Just read the sales stats.

I reckon that for the present, plasma beats LCD for what I wanted..for the size i wanted, LCD was too expensive.

Im sure next time i upgrade my TV, i will go LCD.

Soldato
Balddog said:
woohooo...

the lovely chaps frm john lewis dropped off my 42 inch panasonic px600 today...its sexual

Excellent work my friend! :D

LCD vs Plasma.. no clear winner. If I was buying a 40" sized screen purely for HDTV / SD / DVD use then i'd get a Plasma. But since I also want to use my PC, I'll always go for an LCD.

Back
Top Bottom