Studying

Associate
Im am going to start revising for my AS resits going into A2 year and was wondering how often and in what ways everyone studied for thier exams?

Also does anyone know of any good class note software for Windows? MS Word is quite irritating.

Man of Honour
I haven't revised for anything yet...

That would be why I have 2 resits at uni to do (almost passed though, will do the night before for these resits).

I've done damn well considering too although I don't recommend it.

Permabanned
Kreeeee said:
I haven't revised for anything yet...

That would be why I have 2 resits at uni to do (almost passed though, will do the night before for these resits).

I've done damn well considering too although I don't recommend it.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't say having 2 resits is 'doing damn well'. :p

Permabanned
I suppose it depends what the course is really. Some courses you don't really have to study for, if you have common sense or natural ability you are fine. Some courses though, no matter HOW intelligent you are - no study = no pass. Law is definitely the latter. You could be extremely clever with a massive IQ but if you don't revise for a law exam, you are doomed.

Soldato
mine was Computer Science.

I agree though some things def need to be, especially with things like law and some business as you need to know about some cases etc.. dont you?

Permabanned
McDaniel said:
mine was Computer Science.

I agree though some things def need to be, especially with things like law and some business as you need to know about some cases etc.. dont you?

I mean, in your spare time you're on your computer. You upgrade your PC, read these forums etc. So its not like you're learning - but you are. And it helps you in your degree. So in a way, you DID study. In a law student's everyday life/hobbies you don't come across things that will help you in exams. The ONLY way a law student can do that, is to sit down and study, read the cases, memorise.

Soldato
I rarely study. If I remember something, then I remember it, but if I don't get it at first, I pretty much never do :p . I don't tend to forget the things I have learnt, so I find studying to be of little use for me; about the most boring thing on earth too and my mind wanders very quickly if I try to.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
I need to revise. I have an exam on the 31st as I was ill during the exam period so did put in a special situations claim. I found out the other day that it's next Thursday and I haven't done any Pharmacology work since May.

I was going to start tonight, but looks like it's tomorrow now :rolleyes: I got a fairly decent grade anyway this year, but it's still good to have the best grade you can get... I never bothered when I was in college and came out with reasonable results, however, it's now I'm at Uni I realise that it really makes a difference.

Permabanned
Mikol said:
I need to revise. I have an exam on the 31st as I was ill during the exam period so did put in a special situations claim. I found out the other day that it's next Thursday and I haven't done any Pharmacology work since May.

I was going to start tonight, but looks like it's tomorrow now :rolleyes: I got a fairly decent grade anyway this year, but it's still good to have the best grade you can get... I never bothered when I was in college and came out with reasonable results, however, it's now I'm at Uni I realise that it really makes a difference.

Last year I had to revise 3 years of a law degree in 2 months. :(

Man of Honour
Quantic said:
I'm sorry but I wouldn't say having 2 resits is 'doing damn well'. :p
Hated the course anyway, am changing to a different on.

I got 3 As and a B at A level with precisely zero revision. That's good enough for me :)

I'm well aware I will need to study when I get to the years in uni that actually count.

Soldato
Pay close attention in class and write down EVERYTHING the lecturer says... this will help commit it to memory.

Then do nothing until a day or two before your exam and just read through your notes a couple of times.

Worked for me.

Soldato
Quantic said:
I mean, in your spare time you're on your computer. You upgrade your PC, read these forums etc. So its not like you're learning - but you are. And it helps you in your degree. So in a way, you DID study. In a law student's everyday life/hobbies you don't come across things that will help you in exams. The ONLY way a law student can do that, is to sit down and study, read the cases, memorise.

Has nothing to do with what the exams were in though.

I dont read about programming, dont do it in my spare time or anything.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
reflex said:
Who cares about that crap resits can be for loads of reasons, no idea why people frown apon them - oh yeah i do cos there bunch of fags!

Exactly. Mine is technically just a deferred exam, but it's still called a re-sit, yet it's considered a first sitting. Mine was due to quite a bad illness, but I'm sure considering the module subject, the leader knew I wasn't pulling his leg when I told him the medication I had to take :D

Soldato
Best way if u have a lot of information that u know u must remember would be to start writing new notes of the matrial 1 month (i know a long time but when u get to 3rd year of degree and have 3 modules which fills 2 A4 large file binders and has diagrams to remember - god i hate chemistry) find some classical music also. Then about two weeks before go through all the new notes and do practice questions. This should get u a first or A or whatever u need otherwise u are just not following :p

Also do couple hours a day - depending on how much material u have to cover eg A-levels two hours a day for a month should cover all of it.

Man of Honour
The only way I've ever managed to do well is by seriously maxing out. After obtaining some less desirable grades I was determined to proove everyone wrong. I retook all but 2 units, and proberly worked for 5 weeks before the exams averaging 10 hours a day. Didn't find myself time for breaks.

I worked far harder this year at uni, working around 14 hours a day and having one or two litres of redbull to keep me going!

That IS excessive, but its the only way I can keep literally hundreds of obcure words into my head and have them ready quick fire. Everyone works different, some of the people above said they achieved things with almost no work.

I think everyone will agree that by far the most sensible thing to do is to work hard throughout the year ahead rather than do a mass cram at the end. Work hard and you will get your reward :)

Back
Top Bottom