Windows XP Pro licence question

Associate
I have windows XP pro at the moment on my computer, but I'm buying a second computer and want to link it to my home computer to make a network. Do I need to buy a second copy or will one copy work for both?

thanks in advance,

G

Soldato
Don't think there's any 'limitations' with OEM Home Edition. But get it only if you don't use/need...
Windows XP Professional offers a number of features unavailable in the Home Edition, including:
  • the ability to become part of a Windows Server domain — a group of computers that are remotely managed by one or more central servers (many businesses that use Windows have a Windows Server and a domain)
  • the use of a sophisticated access control scheme that allows specific permissions on files to be granted to specific users under normal circumstances. However, users can use tools other than Windows Explorer (like cacls or File Manager), or restart to Safe Mode to modify access control lists.
  • the Remote Desktop server, which allows a PC be operated by another Windows XP user over a local area network or the Internet
  • offline Files and Folders, which allow the PC to automatically store a copy of files from another networked computer and work with them while disconnected from the network
  • the Encrypting File System, which encrypts files stored on the computer's hard drive so they cannot be read by another user, even with physical access to the storage medium
  • centralized administration features, including Group Policies, Automatic Software Installation and Maintenance, Roaming User Profiles, and Remote Installation Service (RIS)
  • Using multiple processors for symmetric multiprocessing, allowing the PC to divide work between multiple processors (CPUs). Home is limited to one processor and Professional uses up to two physical processors, regardless of the number of CPU cores or Hyper-threading.

Back
Top Bottom