Student Loan Question

Soldato
Hello All, they have finaly finished my assesment! However im a little confused, initialy i was getting:

Total Tuition Fee Loan Available 3000.00 GBP
Total loan available 3305.00 GBP
Higher Education Loan Reduction Amount 0.00 GBP

However, i sent in more "Evidence" and it has now changed to saying:

HE Maintenance Grant 2700.00 GBP
Total loan available 3205.00 GBP
Higher Education Loan Reduction Amount 1200.00 GBP

So i have been given a HE Maintenance Grant of £2700, So my questions:

1) Do i have to pay the grant back? (Not 100% Sure)
2) The total loan avaliable, and the HE Loan Reduction, Does that mean i will get the loan of £3205 or of £2005
3) What is "Assessed Contribution 0.00 GBP" About?

Soldato
jcb33 said:
Hello All, they have finaly finished my assesment! However im a little confused, initialy i was getting:

Total loan available 3305.00 GBP
Higher Education Loan Reduction Amount 0.00 GBP

However, i sent in more "Evidence" and it has now changed to saying:

HE Maintenance Grant 2700.00 GBP
Total loan available 3205.00 GBP
Higher Education Loan Reduction Amount 1200.00 GBP

So i have been given a HE Maintenance Grant of £2700, So my questions:

1) Do i have to pay the grant back? (Not 100% Sure)
2) The total loan avaliable, and the HE Loan Reduction, Does that mean i will get the loan of £3205 or of £2005
3) What is "Assessed Contribution 0.00 GBP" About?

1) Nope, it's free.
2) Yeah, if you get the full grant you lose out on £1200 of your loan, apparently they say you're better off but I'd have liked the option to get the full loan anyway as my loan and grant combined only just cover my accommodation.
3) AFAIK it's if your parents are meant to be giving you a set amount due to their salary being astronomical to make up for you not getting as big a loan.

Soldato
OP
This is what they sent me which makes me more confused as to how much i get:

moneys.JPG

Last edited:
Don
IceBus said:
3) AFAIK it's if your parents are meant to be giving you a set amount due to their salary being astronomical to make up for you not getting as big a loan.

what if your parents don't want to give you anything ? they seem to be making a huge assumption there

surely everyone should get the same :confused:

Soldato
I received a letter today stating that I will be getting a £1000 bursary (2x£500) from the University to go towards the cost of education.

I think this is because I got the full £2700 grant has anyone else got this as well as I wasn't expecting it.

jcb33 said:
This is what they sent me which makes me more confused as to how much i get:

You get £3000 tuition fee loan that is added to your student loan account and you pay it back. This is payed straight to your uni so you don't see it.

You get £3205 student loan, you don't get the £1100 assessed part as you got the full grant. You pay this back.

You get £2700 maintenance grant that you don't pay back.

Soldato
No what it means it this:

Your tuition fee's are paid directly to the unversity. (RePayable)

You recieve a £3205 student loan (Repayable)

You recieve a £2700 Grant (Non-Repayable)

If you recieve the full grant you do not recieve the £1100. That is there for people who do not recieve the full grant. It's so they can still have approximately the same amount of cash as the others expect theirs is in the form of a loan and not a grant.

I would have liked to have been able to take the extra £1100 but it's there for people who need it more.

Soldato
loopstah said:
I received a letter today stating that I will be getting a £1000 bursary (2x£500) from the University to go towards the cost of education.

I think this is because I got the full £2700 grant has anyone else got this as well as I wasn't expecting it.

You get £3000 tuition fee loan that is added to your student loan account and you pay it back. This is payed straight to your uni so you don't see it.

You get £3205 student loan, you don't get the £1100 assessed part as you got the full grant. You pay this back.

ahhh.. you dont get that 1.1k bit?

the 2.7k grant.. do you only get this once?

Don
Rotty said:
what if your parents don't want to give you anything ? they seem to be making a huge assumption there

surely everyone should get the same :confused:
very true Rotty, i get the minimum loan and have to pay whole of my tuition fee's. Thankfully my parents pay my tuition fees, books etc so not a problem but if they were to say sod you pay them yourself i would be in the **** (or i would have to work more :eek: ) and then there's guys who get massive loans, grants and tuition fees paid for them, rolling in it :(

Soldato
loopstah said:

You beat me to it. Apparently I get a £300 bursery but only at the start of December? I get the full everything so I would have thought I would have been entitled to the £1000 they offer. Are you studying in London or outside the capital?

Don
BaZ87 said:
very true Rotty, i get the minimum loan and have to pay whole of my tuition fee's. Thankfully my parents pay my tuition fees, books etc so not a problem but if they were to say sod you pay them yourself i would be in the **** (or i would have to work more :eek: ) and then there's guys who get massive loans, grants and tuition fees paid for them, rolling in it :(

So the reward for parents who have worked harder and paid more tax is to have to subsidise their kids more ?

mmm, that's fair :mad:

Soldato
S7yl3s said:
You beat me to it. Apparently I get a £300 bursery but only at the start of December? I get the full everything so I would have thought I would have been entitled to the £1000 they offer. Are you studying in London or outside the capital?

I'm in Manchester.

What's odd is I'm getting a £9000 bursary anyway so I'm suprised they are giving me more.

lemonkettaz said:
the 2.7k grant.. do you only get this once?

Each year I assume. It's payed the same time as the student loan is in 3 installments.

Soldato
OP
Guess im £2600 better off than i though then, thats dam good... will redo my budget, and even better news i dont have to pay council tax :D

Permabanned
jcb33 said:
Guess im £2600 better off than i though then, thats dam good... will redo my budget, and even better news i dont have to pay council tax :D

You have to pay 50% council tax as a student don't you? :confused:

Soldato
Rotty said:
So the reward for parents who have worked harder and paid more tax is to have to subsidise their kids more ?

mmm, that's fair :mad:

same goes for that wonderful EMA bull... makes me angry.

you can claim that you are totally self sufficient and that has its own bearings on what money you get, but if you live with parents the government says they should pay for you.

so not only do they take a huge chunk of your parents earnings in tax, they also expect them to pay for your education aswell.

Soldato
OP
Quantic said:
You have to pay 50% council tax as a student don't you? :confused:
Well council gave me a letter saying im exempt from tax.... Dunno if that is because I have my own place and am a student or what.... but why argue!

Bar

Bar

Soldato
Unfortunately it will not be in time for you guys but the whole process is going to radically change from 08/09 onwards.

Believe me it is so much better - from filling in your forms to being told how much you will be entitled to will take about 30 minutes.

Good innit!

Associate
I still haven’t received any information/feedback about my loan, every time i phone them its "being processed" it been like that for the last 2 months ... so i think they have just screwed it up/lost it AGAIN and are hoping I will forget or something :o

I m fed up of phoning them and they saying "it will be with me shortly" yea right ....... the way they work these loans is all over the place! no feedback or communication what-so-ever, you could send off your application and for all you know it could get lost in the post and you wouldn’t even know until you phoned up x amount of months later. They should send you an e-mail or something every time they receive your application.

Permabanned
BaZ87 said:
As long as there are just student living in the accomendation then your totally exempt from paying council tax

Really? We're all post-grad students and I know I contribute something like £20 a month to council tax. Do you have a link or anything?

Back
Top Bottom