Student Loan Question

Soldato
Quantic said:
Really? We're all post-grad students and I know I contribute something like £20 a month to council tax. Do you have a link or anything?

Might be different for postgrads. But I was given a letter from my uni which proved my exemption...

Soldato
Quantic said:
I paid the same while I was an under-grad as well. :p Might have a word with student services.

I was given the document as soon as I enrolled. Although I didnt need it as the landlord already knew I was a student.

Soldato
Quantic said:
I paid the same while I was an under-grad as well. :p Might have a word with student services.

As an undergraduate you should definately have been exempt from paying council tax (as long as only students lived in your house). My Uni handled informing the local council automatically so we never had to lift a finger, we just didn't get any bills at all.

For my years work placement they gave me a letter on university paper signed by the registrar saying I was a student which I had to send to the local council tax people.

Soldato
I have a quick loan question, when I was filling out my form the uni told me the tuition fee is £3000 but now i have my financial notification it says the tuition fee is £1200... so does anyone know what thats about?

Soldato
What annoys me is, as soon as i leave for university my mum stops getting all her benefits (widows pension etc. etc.) and is tumped for cash. At the minute our house income is somewhere around 28k, so i dont get any grants etc.

BUT its dropping to sweet FA as soon as i actually go to uni, nice system lads.

Soldato
Mr.Orb said:
I have a quick loan question, when I was filling out my form the uni told me the tuition fee is £3000 but now i have my financial notification it says the tuition fee is £1200... so does anyone know what thats about?

Same here, this is so ****** up man. I thought I was a continuing student, so I entered £1200 (continuing student fee) for my tuition fee when filling in the form, online. But a few days later, I got a letter from the uni saying its £2500 fee and that I'm a new student. What the hell? I've been doing the HND compsci for the past 2 years there, so how am I a new student if I'm doing a new course now? :confused: Anyway as soon as I found out I downloaded a form where you can fill in any changes, I changed my fees to £2500 and handed it back in to the LEA.

A few weeks down the line my assessment is 'done' I guess. I haven't recieved the letter yet, but I've just checked it online, and I'm not recieving any support (grant). My mum is a single parent, works part-time and earns much less than £15k, how can I not be eligble for support?

They haven't even changed the tuition fee either. I'm so annoyed, its totally messed my day up for me. I'm pretty sure they've made a mistake, what do you think?

I'll be giving them a call on Monday as well.

Soldato
"how am I a new student if I'm doing a new course now"

If you're a enlisted on a new course you'll probably be treated as a new student and so have to pay the higher tuition fee. Whether or not would probably depend on the circumstances in which you took up your new course.

Soldato
Rotty said:
So the reward for parents who have worked harder and paid more tax is to have to subsidise their kids more ?

mmm, that's fair :mad:

lol i agree with you totally, really sets me off, but what can we do?

Seems like this government is all about penalising people who actually work hard and obey laws, but rewarding the not so hard working and deliquents law breakers!
/rant

Back
Top Bottom