Prime95 Vs SuperPI

Soldato
I run prime95 for one iteration (about 10 minutes) and then folding perminantly after that. Not good practice really, i should run it for longer but i can't be bothered and i see no point really when it could be doing something usefull like folding.
If it can fold, its got to be stable enough to play a few games and whatnot.

Memory errors are a different story, i was running a machine for a while that would fail memtest in a big way every time and it passed prime and folded quite happily for a month or so, but it did crash in games.

So prime/sp2004 for a few hours, memtest and folding is my recomendation.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I laugh at the people who claim that they won't accept that a PC is stable unless it has run Prime for at least 8/12/24 hours.

I have had rigs run Prime for as much as 16 hours and fall over after running F@H for a couple of hours - hell, I even had one run Prime for 8 hours and fall down in 1M superpi.

Prime is not the be all and end all of testing - what's important is that it is stable enough to perform the tasks that you require it to perform.
One of my Folding rigs failed Prime after 6 minutes, it has been running F@H at 100% on both cores for 6 months, pretty much 24/7, without any problems. That's all I need it to do. I couldn't care less if others don't consider it to be stable - it does what I want it to do and that's good enough for me.

The insistance on PCs being "Prime stable" is overclocking snobbery and very narrowminded.

Stan :)

Soldato
Justintime said:
Prime is just one test i use, its good mainly for the cpu, but memtest86 and 3dmark are also good stressers, keep laughing while i use my rock solid pcs.
I ran prime for 10 minutes and memtest and mine is just as stable as yours. It does not crash due to hardware problems and it folds constantly. So was it worth the hours and hours spent running a million iterations of prime?
I agree with stan on this one, either a machine is stable or it isn't, yours isn't 'more' stable than mine and therefore better than mine because you tested it for ages and i didn't.

Memtest is different, because memory errors can be extremely random and therefore in certain rare cases its worth running that for 24 hours, but to me running prime for more than a couple of hours is a waste of time unless your testing things other than stability, such as cooling ability.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Justintime said:
To each his own :) When i test with prime i am testing cpu stability, psu stability, cooling and to some extent RAM. It works for me and i feel its worth it and in the end thats all that matters.

Exactly my point.

You are happy that Prime95 is an adequate test of your machine's stability - who am I to say you are wrong, it works for you and that's what's important.

I put less store in Prime95 and prefer to judge stability in a system's ability to perform the tasks required of it (in my case, mostly Folding but I do also have a couple of gaming rigs) and that works for me - everybody's happy (except the overclocking snobs who won't accept that my rigs are stable unless I conform to their ideals).

Permabanned
Is there a version of Prime95 or SuperPi which will allow you to run it in dos like memtest?

I think that would be a lot easier and quicker to use than booting windows (which hogs resources sometimes).

Associate
download the ultimate bootcd and you have a load of options sp2004 a prime style test and memtest/memtest86+ and lots of other diagnostic tools for other hardware. very useful to have

Permabanned
Just what I was looking for, here's a link. Thanks foxx you just made my life easier.

Now for an opengl based benchmark which runs boot on a boot cd ;) moving off topic a tad though :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
There is no definitive test, although like many others I trust Prime95 the most.

The fact is a successfully overclocked CPU should be able to pass ANY test thrown at it (the same as it would at stock). Many people won't accept this for the simple reason it often means the difference between a 20% or a 40% overclock.

The way I look at overclocking is ANY extra speed is great, but I'm not going to snub stability tests just so I can parade a 40% overclock in my signature.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
mmj_uk said:
The fact is a successfully overclocked CPU should be able to pass ANY test thrown at it (the same as it would at stock).

I disagree.

A successfully overclocked CPU should be able to do what the user requires it to do regardless of whether it can pass some artificially designed test which has little relevance to everyday use.

Everyone to their own though - if you want to subject your hardware to those sort of tests to satisfy your need for "stability" then you go ahead. I'll carry on doing it my way (with 8 rigs Folding 24/7 - all overclocked - I must be doing something right ;) ).

Soldato
Looks like I am on the fence for this one because although some of the tests are synthetic - I still want my CPU to pass :D

I don't overclock every 10 minutes though due to having just the one rig at a time usually - so I can afford to spend a bit of time running Prime95 and a bit of Memtest.

Some people seem to think you need to put a 100m exclusion zone around your PC when Prime testing! Silly really because you can still use it - just don't do anything too CPU intensive!

I wouldn't honestly be happy if my OC died after less than 24 hours in Prime95. That is just me and my path to perfection :eek:. Not saying my OC is more stable, but I may have a better idea of how stable my OC is! :D

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom