Got bored so I tidied up my case

Associate
Been off work for the last few days and got bored so I did what any geek would and tidied up my case.

I bought a shorty IDE cable and one of those 'rounded but still a ribbon at the drive end' cables to get rid of the huge IDE cable loops.

Then, to sort out all the power cable loops I made my own drive power cable, it was going well until I fitted the last molex and realised I hadn't sleeved the last section.

Then I sleeved most of the visible wires, still 3 fans and the cold cathodes to do but I had to leave something for the bank holiday plus at some point I'll try oversleeving the black PSU sleeving.

Still need to do something about all the wires, I will probaly end up drilling some holes into the motherboard tray to route some right out of the way and I'll just have to be more aggressive with the rest to get them hidden.
The empty bays at the top are particularly messy but some cable ties should take care of that.

theoccuppier-c.jpg

(left the dusting for another day)
theoccuppier-d.jpg

That PCI blower/exhaust is supporting the graphics card, the screw holes don't line up properly so just in case the screw ever shakes itself out the blower wil stop it from dropping too much.

theoccuppier-a.jpg

theoccuppier-b.jpg

Some before shots would probably have been handy to illustrate the improvement but trust me, it was a mess in there.

Caporegime
looks good, tried to do this the other day, got lazy though so half finished much better though. Sides are still lying off lol :p What case you got?

Associate
OP
koolpcs said:
Waw, have you started tidying the cables up yet? lol :D

Sultan of Ping said:
Yep, make sure you post some pics of it when you've finished! tee-hee :p

Steedie said:
Looks good mate, except the cables are awfully messy, but that cant be helped sometimes

Nowhere to hide them? tuck them away?

I said it wasn't done but it is an improvement on what it was, plus whenever I tuck the wires away the little buggers tend to pop back out :)
To do it properly I will drill some holes in the motherboard tray and get some cable clips/ties in the upper bays/on the case roof/on the othe side of the drive cage.

Permabanned
What about using 'sticky' cable ties? You know, the ones with the sticky pad that has a paper peel off and then you stick it where you want!

Suspended
Steedie said:
Looks good mate, except the cables are awfully messy, but that cant be helped sometimes

Nowhere to hide them? tuck them away?

The case is "so big" there isn't any place to tuck it behind anywhere. Mines a mess too. :) Area in the bottom has nothing so mess doesn't matter, where the drives are are fairly neat with data/power off to one side so the airflow isn't restricted that much.. (old picture without the Ninja, SB removed)

case.jpg

Associate
OP
squiffy said:
The case is "so big" there isn't any place to tuck it behind anywhere. Mines a mess too. :) Area in the bottom has nothing so mess doesn't matter, where the drives are are fairly neat with data/power off to one side so the airflow isn't restricted that much.. (old picture without the Ninja, SB removed)

case.jpg

That's the stacker 810 isn't it?
Thats's a lot like mine used to look, I've tried to do the same thing - where air is coming in I've tried to keep it tidy/clear.

Koolpcs - yup, I picked up some of the sticky cable hook things from b&q the other day, and am using 2 at the top of the case, they are dead handy but one of them keeps dropping the cable so needs replacing or perhaps cram another cable in to keep it nice and tight.

Associate
my pc has like 5 times less wires than that, i have a big power cableand an ide for dvd drive then all other wires are small and at the bottom of the case, like the led's and the sata II cable, i have the sonata 2 and msi k9n neo and the mobo power cable, the massive one, only just fits past cpu heatsink/fan and plugs in, its rather short. but anyhow, other than that i have no clutter whatsoever, tis quite awesome and i can access everything very easily. but in a year or two it will no doubt look like yours with loadsa new stuff and more hard drives, but i think a good way to sort everything out is to get it right in the first place, take everything out and put it in in the tidiest order, then you can see what you can improve my just moving cables behind the mobo tray or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom