New Breed of speed cameras?

Soldato
Hi my instructor was telling me about a new kind of speed camera that works in pairs. How many of you slow down when you see a speed camera or when your detector goes off and the speed up again? Apoperntly these new cameras record the time it takes to get to the 2nd camera and if you exceed the time it should take you get flashed:eek: Now im not sure if this is old news or already been discussed but it worried me!!

Last edited:
Soldato
how does the camera identify your car between the two points? Does it compare your registration plate? If so, then everyone would get flashed, and no-one will know if there in truoble :(

Soldato
It reads the number plate of every car and compares them. They can even compare it to a DVLA database to see if your car's taxed, though they can't do this in the UK at the moment legally..

Permabanned
Indeed SPECS camera systems are horrible, but theyre also rare and expensive :D

They dont flash BTW - so youll not know you've been caught til the envelope drops on the door mat :eek:

Soldato
do they look like normal cameras? Surely if you could identify it then you could slow down until you see the 2nd one

Soldato
We've got a couple up on the M9 motorway in Scotland. They point either way and are purple in colour. I've been in a car with a m8, who got caught. The police caught up with us and pulled us over and showed us the pics from the camera. The average speed was worked out at 99.6mph so he JUST escaped without a ban.

Nasty things but the only way to get round then is not to speed and save the pent up frustration for a track day (or a country road :)

Soldato
Originally posted by Mad Pierre
Damm driving a car in england sucks these days.

Just follow the rules... we manage okay to follow the forum's rules and they're not backed up by anything more severe than a suspension or ban of forum access!

Soldato
They look like large CCTV cameras with a couple of sensors either side of the lens. The one's i've seen in Nottingham and the M6 in Warrington were mounted on a cast iron arch thing over Lane 1 and had a luminous yellow background behind the camera.

In Warrington, there's a series of three about a mile apart, and it measures speed across any two of the three points. The Nottingham ones are on the main road into the city from the M1. There were so many I lost count...

Soldato
Originally posted by MagicBoy
They look like large CCTV cameras with a couple of sensors either side of the lens.

The "sensors" are actually infra red lamps to illuminate the road road (invisibly) at night.

Any of the GPS detectors will pick these cash registers..err..speed cameras up.

Soldato
Originally posted by Dogbreath
The "sensors" are actually infra red lamps to illuminate the road road (invisibly) at night.

Any of the GPS detectors will pick these cash registers..err..speed cameras up.

Wasn't quite sure what they are - look like those PIR sensors you get in a house alarm, hence why I called it that...

Cash registers - LOL!:D

Back
Top Bottom