Sky Boradband better than BT?

Associate
I have BT 8 meg shared between 2 pcs and on both we get around 500kbps :mad:

Would sky 16 mbps actually be at 16mbps or be a total waste of money like BT?

Associate
Its going to be using exactly the same lines and exchange technology as your BT product. Sky just buy their services from BT.

Justin

Soldato
If you are on an LLU'd exchange (unbundled by Easynet/UKOnline) then you could get upto 16mb depending on what your line can support. If Sky will sell you an IPStream product. You can check www.samknows.com to see if your exchange has been llu'd.

Soldato
Im hoping LLU'd Sky will be a much more stable network over BT's relatively new Max Service which is quite frankly shocking imo.

I'm migrating to Sky 16mb this week. I'll tell you what the difference is like (here's hoping :))

Caporegime
Posting some stats (attenuation, SNR margin, current sync rate) from your modem/router/magic box might be useful.

While you won't have the joy of hyper/hypoactive DLM or the "joys" of the BRAS limit, what you get out of the ADSL will be exactly the same (with perhaps a tiny increase thanks to ADSL2+, and Seamless Rate Adaption if it's enabled).

Caporegime
Look at your modem?
There's some instructions in the FAQ, and if you post what modem you've got someone might know (if it's not on the list).

Associate
OP
Well I live about 1.5 miles away from my exchange and typing 192.168.11. comes up with nothing in firefox or IE :confused:

It also says LLU services are enabled so SKy would be quicker?

Soldato
inferno said:
I have BT 8 meg shared between 2 pcs and on both we get around 500kbps :mad:

Would sky 16 mbps actually be at 16mbps or be a total waste of money like BT?

How long have you been on 8MB for? I have only recently been upgraded and it took about 15 days for the connection to completely settle. At times I had as low as 100kbps however now it seems to be locked on 6mb.

Associate
OzZie: Share your Sky BB experience with us, I plan on migrating to Sky aswell. Just want to know if you came across any problems because still early days for Sky BB.

I am a existing Bulldog 16mbit customer, very tired of their random dowtimes, and crap customer support so looking for an alternative ISP. Sky BB Max is available in my area. Also wondering what their fair usage policy is like ;)

Associate
I had a issue with my BT broadband after changing to total,

I alway had the occation drop in my connection but speed was always good, after awhile through it dropped down to 500k - then 250k then 125k

Eventually got and engineer out, change my cable outside and moved me to another point in the exchange, said the exchange was detecting the intermittant connection and was lowering my speed to keep the connection rather than let it drop............grr

with regards to SKY they are using the same kit as BT until they get their own stuff in then you will be able to get the higher speeds

Back
Top Bottom