Emmigration anyone?

Associate
Anyone doing this, done it, or seriously thinking about it?

im finishing uni next year and will finish with a hnd and a degree to my name, thing is, within the IT industry i'll have to live in one of the big cities like london, and the chances of being able to afford somewhere, let alone somewhere nice is probably out of the question. This quite annoys me as i dont really want a "proper" job and have to rent and live with flatmates.

I've been asking about and lookijng around on the Internet quite a bit and the idea of moving - working - living abroad becomes ever more appealing.

At the moment New Zealand seems like the top of my choices, one of the main reasons is becasuse at the moment there is a big requirement for IT professionals there (see Higrowth project), from what people have told me and what i've seen and heard its a nice place and also and importantly housing isnt ludicrously expensive (about a 1/3 of the price).

I think i'd initially like to get a 2 year work permit, work and rent there, see if i truly like it first.

Thoughts.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Kroegen said:
Yup i am. Im considering The Netherlands or Spain :)

nice one.

I would be open to a lot more countries if it wasnt for the langauge barrier which is the curse of us lazy brits.

Associate
OP
Kroegen said:
Ill definately be moving to the netherlands/germany in the next year. As spain doesnt have many job oppertunities :(

I take it you have the langauge skills then, or is german your first langauage

Caporegime
yep, with any luck I'll be in Switzerland within a few months, failing that I'm aiming for SF Bay area, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Denver/Boulder, and Portland in that order (all close to epic skiing and all have large IT industries).
Failing the whole US green card pap i'll try New Zealand, and then French Alps, Austria.

Failing that I slit my wrists becuase I'm not living in this cess-pit of a country.

Soldato
I'm hoping to leave UK in about 2-3 years time. We (me and missus) already bought a house and massive land in Czech Republic. Infact, my future next door neighbour is a Brit. Since living out there is so cheap, I'll take my time finding a job or starting up a business. I love UK but cannot afford to live here anymore. I'm being taxed out of excistence.

Soldato
regulus said:
I'm hoping to leave UK in about 2-3 years time. We (me and missus) already bought a house and massive land in Czech Republic. Infact, my future next door neighbour is a Brit. Since living out there is so cheap, I'll take my time finding a job or starting up a business. I love UK but cannot afford to live here anymore. I'm being taxed out of excistence.

i feel ya.

Permabanned
Both my cousin and I who work in IT are seriously considering it.
I'm looking at Australia/New Zealand and he's looking at Canada.

Wish us luck!

Well done Labour for forcing the skilled workforce out, and letting the unskilled workers in to live on benefits. This island is sinking.

Associate
OP
GoldenGlory said:

Wish us luck!

Well done Labour for forcing the skilled workforce out, and letting the unskilled workers in to live on benefits. This island is sinking.

i was looking at canada as well, actually before nz, it was just the fact that nz is after IT professionals that i thought immigration would be easier.

Associate
OP
GoldenGlory said:

Wish us luck!

Whilst looking into this it seems that austrailia is lot more difficult to get into than nz (but not anywhere near as tough as the US). Do wish you well though.

i dont really know about the politics like that in this country, but the house situation is just crazy. Was looking a minute ago at canadian and nz property and they seem similiarly priced.

Bit O/T but what kind mortgage could someone on £25k-30k get on their own.

Last edited:
Soldato
Justintime said:
i feel ya.

Thanks. I get sad sometimes when I look at what this country has become. I try to be a good citizen by working hard, paying my taxes, staying out of trouble, but this country is just taking more and more and I almost have nothing left to give. Been trying to save and buy a house here for 5 years now since leaving uni, I just cannot afford it without risking bankruptcy. There's just too much to pay and not enough coming in. (Even on 45k!!) I would like to have kids one day but it'll be impossible to give them a decent and safe upbringing.

Back
Top Bottom