criminal record wiped at 18?

Soldato
Fishman said:

Comicbook Guy said:
Inspired by the most logical race in the galaxy, the Vulcans, breeding will be permitted once every seven years. For many of you this will mean much less breeding, for me, much much more.

Although lighthearted, this quote shows that everyone has a different opinion on what is good for the county, but mainly their views are clouded by what is good for themselves, we elect out goverment for the reason that they should not have induviual goals from this and will perform the job to benifit the wellfare of the country, well I personally do.

KaHn

Last edited:
Caporegime
Rich_L said:
Blame the idiots that would take it upon themselves to give out 'justice' then, if it wasn't for the threat of vigilantism then that money wouldn't need to be spent.

Yep totally true. What they did may have been disgusting but the have served their time and should be left to lead the rest of their lives in peace without fear of vigilantiism(?).

Soldato
Rich_L said:
Blame the idiots that would take it upon themselves to give out 'justice' then, if it wasn't for the threat of vigilantism then that money wouldn't need to be spent.

I agree, but like most things there is no guarantee that they won't be found and throwing millions at the expense of taxpayers to keep them from harm won't solve the problem. I'd love to see a breakdown of the £4million cost to see exactly where the money is going. I'd rather see them shipped off somewhere else, I can't imagine them even feeling safe still living here.

Soldato
Linoge said:
I agree, but like most things there is no guarantee that they won't be found and throwing millions at the expense of taxpayers to keep them from harm won't solve the problem. I'd love to see a breakdown of the £4million cost to see exactly where the money is going. I'd rather see them shipped off somewhere else, I can't imagine them even feeling safe still living here.

Tbh the majority of cost will be in their imprisionment, the rest will be clerical duties to have their identies removed and have them kept that way.

Dont for one second think they will be given a mansion in the countryside with 4 armed gaurds etc.

They will be living in the bare minimum of their lives, they will probably be stuck in some council house where they have to see a parrol officer 3 times a week or something similiar.

a lot of people see 4 milion as a lot of money but it isnt a great deal, most prisioners have an obcene amount spent on them.

KaHn

Soldato
Don't forget that here in the UK we have the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (a bloody good act imho - yet the US refuse to acknowledge it).
This means that a criminal record becomes "Spent" after a set number of years.
Although the record will remain with you, once it has become "Spent" you no longer have to tell a potential employer about it, you don't need to mention it when applying for a job and any searches conducted by an employer will also not mention it.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
stoofa said:
Although the record will remain with you, once it has become "Spent" you no longer have to tell a potential employer about it, you don't need to mention it when applying for a job and any searches conducted by an employer will also not mention it.
Whether you have to tell an employer depends on the job you're applying for. Some jobs, such as with children, you are required to disclose convictions, whether spent or not.

stoofa said:
Don't forget that here in the UK we have the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (a bloody good act imho - yet the US refuse to acknowledge it).
Of course the US acknowledges it. What they don't do is accept they should be bound by it. And why should they? Do you expect to be bound by US laws?

The most notable impact of the US not accepting this limitation relates to visa applications. Access to ANY country for a non-citizen should be at the discretion of and under criteria set by the country concerned. And in this case, the US reserves the right to be informed of the criminal past of people applyiong for visas and, if it wishes, to decline to let them set foot in the country. The UK has the same right in relation to visitors from other countries, and can exercise it if it wishes. And, maybe it should. Why would you want foreign criminals in the UK, any more than the US wants British ones?

Of course, what the US can do, in practice, if someone fails to disclose something they should have is another matter. But, if you fail to disclose and get caught, deportation is highly likely, as is permanent exclusion. Again, that is perfectly within their rights.

Permabanned
KaHn said:
No if you are charged it is held until you die iirc, cautions are normally only held for 5 years.

KaHn

iirc that is wrong, a friend of mine recently got sent to prison and his step dad told me that if he gets less than 2.5 years (hasnt been sentanced yet, hes been remanded at the moment) then his record will be wiped after 10 years, and anything over he would have for the rest of his life.

Also in some cases I believe you can have a record wiped when you reach 18, but im not sure on how that works etc.

stoofa said:

That must be what he was talking about.

Soldato
Fishman said:
Exactly, what do we really need them for ? They are never going be a positive influence on society. The only people that their "removal" would be a problem for would be their parents etc, but they have to accept some of the blame and thus their thoughts/wishes should be met with limited consideration.

If only we could run the country and remove all the unsanitary types (scum, dodgy politicians etc), it would make the country a much nicer place to live.

Spie for Prime Minister! OcUK Forum Party backing him! :D

Back
Top Bottom