Disciplined for refusing to hand out literature on homosexuality

Permabanned
Sleepy said:
They do at my local carnival.

If this is a normal activity then I have no issues with it, I have yet to be convinced that it is a normal activity though. I'm fairly sure they go to schools and so forth, I can't recall seeing them handing out leaflets at the countryside marches or similar.
Are there any examples of one issue demos and marches that they've attended other than pride.

Caporegime
Visage said:
Really? How do you know that?

Because that would break public service regulations about offending religious minorities.

Borris said:
And I bet they would have. How do you know that they weren't Muslim firemen?

Because a Catholic bishop has backed their case and not an imam or the British Council of Muslims or a human rights lawyer.

If Atif Rafiq is reading this: If you were a fireman would you have attended a gay pride march to hand out leaflets?

Permabanned
Violent-J said:
I have a problem with GAY PRIDE itself. I'm not proud to be straight. Being proud to be gay implies they are somehow superior

No it doesn't, pride means satisfaction from achievement and a feeling of dignity/self-respect. It doesn't imply superiority. If you take pride in something you have acieved, does that make you think you are better than other people?

Soldato
Violent-J said:
I have a problem with GAY PRIDE itself. I'm not proud to be straight. Being proud to be gay implies they are somehow superior

It can be a nightmare for people who are gay but haven't come out to be carrying the knowledge around with them, we have been lucky enough to be born into the sexuality our society deems "normal" others are not so fortunate.

These marches say it's ok to be who you are, be proud of yourself because there is no shame in being gay. Why you have a problem with that I'm not sure.

Soldato
VIRII said:
If this is a normal activity then I have no issues with it, I have yet to be convinced that it is a normal activity though. I'm fairly sure they go to schools and so forth, I can't recall seeing them handing out leaflets at the countryside marches or similar.
Are there any examples of one issue demos and marches that they've attended other than pride.

They're at a heck of a lot of events, but you've probably just not paid much attention to them. To be fair, it's not the sort of thing most people make note of in their daily lives.

Rest assured though, this has been a large part of their duties for a long long time. There really is no agenda here. If the fireman hadn't refused, then like the stalls at every other event nationwide, it would have passed without any particular note of interest.

Man of Honour
Borris said:
The irony here is that it's whiny political correctness to suggest that firefighters are free to pick and choose their duties according to how those duties fit in with their personal morality
No it isn't. Its human rights to not be expected to be ridiculed in your day to day work.

VIRII said:
Nor can I. Not a single one other than at schools.

starscream said:
No it doesn't, pride means satisfaction from achievement
What have gayers achieved by being gay?

Permabanned
MookJong said:
It can be a nightmare for people who are gay but haven't come out to be carrying the knowledge around with them, we have been lucky enough to be born into the sexuality our society deems "normal" others are not so fortunate.

These marches say it's ok to be who you are, be proud of yourself because there is no shame in being gay. Why you have a problem with that I'm not sure.

To the above poster, I'm not sure how homosexuality is an "achievement" but anyway. Good post MookJong, maybe it is unfounded fear and suspicion on my part because I don't have any gay friends then but I do feel slightly offended and dodgy about it. I'm not homophobic, I fully tolerate gay people and have nothing against them but Gay Pride for some reason I'm not entirely sure makes me uneasy.

Permabanned
Gilly said:
What have gayers achieved by being gay?

Nothing per se, but what is being acheived is the recognition that homosexuality is just as valid a sexuality as hetero sexuality.

In the same, way, Black pride is not about asserting that Black people are superior, but taking pride in the notion that colour affects ones validity as a human being is now outdated.

If Gay pride was about being proud to be gay, then only gay people would be allowed to take part, which is patently not the case.

Caporegime
scorza said:
Because a Catholic bishop has backed their case and not an imam or the British Council of Muslims or a human rights lawyer.
That suggests that the fireman are paedophiles, as much as it suggests they were anything else.[/QUOTE]

Associate
Violent-J said:
To the above poster, I'm not sure how homosexuality is an "achievement" but anyway. Good post MookJong, maybe it is unfounded fear and suspicion on my part because I don't have any gay friends then but I do feel slightly offended and dodgy about it. I'm not homophobic, I fully tolerate gay people and have nothing against them but Gay Pride for some reason I'm not entirely sure makes me uneasy.

denial...

:p

Soldato
OP
Various Daily Mail comments said:
The Daily Bigot tells him so.

The poster stated an opinion, if you wish to refute it please do so politely rather than taking time to express your personal feelings on a tabloid paper and dismissing his opinion simlultaneously as bigotry or some such.

The Daily Mail is merely a sensationalist paper as any other, although unlike others it prefers to draw sensationalism over immigration and race issues. If you dislike this, please buy one of the sensationslist papers that reinforce your existing opinions. Then we can dismiss you all as Guardianistas or some other cheap phrase that dismisses your opinion without the need to form an original sentence or address the points you have raised.

Back
Top Bottom