Disciplined for refusing to hand out literature on homosexuality

Soldato
OP
Sleepy said:
Your argument is flawed, a group with a common interest need not face prejudice to still have common ground requiring political activism.

Was it not your argument that the existence of political pressure groups and pride marches demonstrates the existence of prejudice?

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
How can Daily Mail readers be considered any more static and less amorphous than any other media consumer? Yahoo is my homepage, does that mean that my opinions are exclusive and constant with other who share that homepage?

It's a good point, but Yahoo doesn't have the recognisable history of printing stories that are tainted in a certain light.

Permabanned
cleanbluesky said:
Was it not your argument that the existence of political pressure groups and pride marches demonstrates the existence of prejudice?

Not necessarily currently existing prejudice.

Soldato
OP
MookJong said:
It's a good point, but Yahoo doesn't have the recognisable history of printing stories that are tainted in a certain light.

Every tabloid has that history, and there is yet to be any proof that paper readership invariably and exclusively forms people's opinions. I do not dismiss those that I disagree with as reading whatever left wing publication, and I don't see the value of doing so. Most papers are biased and sensational

Permabanned
cleanbluesky said:
How can Daily Mail readers be considered any more static and less amorphous than any other media consumer? Yahoo is my homepage, does that mean that my opinions are exclusive and constant with other who share that homepage?
Cos the Daily Mail, like any other newspaper, is not a neutral news source. The paper has an ideology it promotes, legitimately. A lot of the op eds are broadly in agreement with certain values the paper agrees with, thus to believe that its readership also agrees at least in part, with those values is justifiable. It does not however imply strict uniforimity.

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:
Every tabloid has that history, and there is yet to be any proof that paper readership invariably and exclusively forms people's opinions. I do not dismiss those that I disagree with as reading whatever left wing publication, and I don't see the value of doing so. Most papers are biased and sensational

It's a complicated one this and probably needs it's own thread. My theory is there are three types of reader:

1. People who read a publication because it re-enforces their already established view of the world.

2. People who read a publication to learn about the world and then take on those views as their own.

3. People who read a publication but have no fixed views and keep an open mind.

I guess the phrase should be "You sound like the Daily Mail" not "You sound like a Daily Mail reader"

Soldato
VIRII said:
Gay people are statistically more likely to spontaneously combust than any other demographic.

...due to friction on the bum-hole.

Don't you just love the religious and the homosexual community? They both have huge chips on their shoulders. Thank god i'm neither! :p

Permabanned
fozzybear said:
...due to friction on the bum-hole.

Don't you just love the religious and the homosexual community? They both have huge chips on their shoulders. Thank god i'm neither! :p

Indeed. Its a fine line.

On the one hand, no-one wants to rub the gays up the wrong way, but on the other I'm not so keen on bashing the bishop.

Back
Top Bottom