Looks or personality?

Caporegime
Only the ugly people of the world would say its personality first then looks :p.........

Personally its a bit of both for me, couldnt be with trophy gf ie very good looking one but with no brain...ive had a few of them in my time and trust me even the sex with them gets boring:p. But then i couldnt be with someone who just yaps, yaps and yaps etc and is generally boring.
Good thing my missus is both a trophy gf and a smart little cookie \o/

Soldato
JohnnyG said:
Month 1 = looks
Months 2-6 = 70% looks, 30% personality
Months 7-12 = 50/50
Year 1-3 = 30% looks, 70% personality
Year 3-7 = 10% looks, 90% personality
Year 7+ = it doesn't matter, you just love them.

Ooof she's let herself go then ;)

Soldato
Well, I started talking to a person who was physically very veery attractive to me but I thought nothing of it.

A year later after knowing pretty much everything about her, we fell in love.
She could have turned out to have a ****** personality, but she did not.

I would say it's 50/50.
I hate to be shallow but I'd not go out with someone that does not 'attract' me to them.

These are both physical and personality wise attributes that attract me to someone.

No swearing

Gilly

Associate
JohnnyG said:
Month 1 = looks
Months 7-12 = 50/50

One of the best posts I've seen.

When personality becomes a factor thats when the relationship will either make or break.

I don't think personality comes into it at the start if its someone you've just met and you fancy the pants off them!

Associate
cleanbluesky said:
Why is appropriate to discern who you date on the basis of personality, yet any sometimes attempts to discern on the basis of looks is seen as shallow?

The judging of a potential mate via looks can be done in a second, no delving beneath the surface is needed.

Judgement of a potential mate via personality implies 'getting to know someone' which in turn involves time, knowledge of other aspects of the person (most likely including looks) and suitability for each other.

Hence, shallow, and in depth. Inappropriate (hasty) and appropriate (considered).

I do like the 7 year plan though JohnnyG ;)

Associate
I think most would say “looks” first off but then how many times have you seen a couple where one is drop dead gorgeous and the other has a face like a kick in the rocks?

I know of a guy who was married to a very attractive woman who always looked good and took care of herself. He left her for a complete opposite and is apparently a very happy guy. Has to be many other factors coming into play here I guess.

Associate
Yeah but that's not really a relationship is it, that's having a **** buddy

i dunno what exactly the definitions of these terms youre throwing about.... **** buddy... isnt that someone you shag but dont love or care about? someone you use _purely_ for sex...

now just because a woman isnt the sharpest tool in the shed doesnt mean you dont care for her or about her... doesnt mean you just use her as a sex object... doesnt mean you dont do anything apart from sex...

im not looking for a swiss army knife do everything and anything in my women... but the physical want must be satisfied... must be... no two ways about it

Permabanned
I think it's not as simple as looks or personality though. The girls I fancy are always both fairly good looking and have great personalitys. Who you actually fancy/fall in love with though is largely subconscious and something we have no control over. I think it's hard for anyone to fancy a seriously ugly person and unless someones seriously great looking it's nigh on impossible if they have a dry personality. Saying that I've got lots of friends who are both good looking and have great personalitys that I'm not attracted to and then occasionally you meet someone for whatever reason who straight away there's something there.

Associate
This is a good question.

I go for 70% personality and 30% looks. Very rare i go to a club or pub to find a lass.

But girls wont come up to you and find out your personality, Say in a club they look for the good looking lads then find out. Thats why you prolly pull more on net cause they see your personality first.

Associate
JohnnyG said:
Month 1 = looks
Months 7-12 = 50/50

So you date somebody just for there looks for 1month? Not quite right I dont think. Not in my opinion anyway (It's like dating Chantelle, sexy but would never have a relationship with her for 1month :p)

It all depends on what the persons like really who is looking for a date. If somebody is looking for a longterm relationship I'd say 65/35 Looks/Personality. But if somebody is out it just for fun then its basically 100/0 Looks/Peronsality.

Soldato
Ummm with me yeah looks come into it... and in my last relationship the longer looks didn't matter and personality did the worse it got.

However current relationship started off as a long distance fling... and then very high phone bills in between. If we hadn't hit it off in a big way personality wise I wouldn't have up sticks and moved to be with her... and certainly wouldn't have a kid on the way with her!

Suspended
JohnnyG said:
Month 1 = looks
Months 7-12 = 50/50
Year 8 = Kinkyness in bedroom

Suspended
If i was single and i saw a girl in the street it would go like this:

Check if she is pretty (must have a pretty face)

Check the figure (slim is best with nice legs and bum)

Go over and chat, ask out, go out.

Thats it for looks.

From then on its personality thats more important for me. Got to be good fun, a sexual person who likes to talk about all sorts of stuff, intellectual and likes similar things to myself.

Even skinny girls and girls who are slightly bigger are sexy if they've got a good personality.

No personality = ugly, no matter how they look!!

No personality is like seeing a gorgeous girl stick a fag in her mouth! yuk!

Wise Guy
Permabanned
If I'm looking for a trophy to drape my arm round for a night out, maybe I'd go for stunning looks. If I'm looking for someone to have a relationship with, there'd be a whole series of factors (sense of humour, sense of fun, good intellect, good education, reasonably assertive, and so on) that, essentially, boils down to "personality".

While I wouldn't necessarily be interested in anyone nauseatingly ugly, to me, looks, come a LONG way down the priority list in picking a partner.

In fact, come to think of it, even for a single night out or a one night stand, I'd rather have someone that was plain but fun and interesting, rather than a gorgeous but vapid airhead. A partner, to me, is more than eye candy, even if it's just for an evening.

I agree with Kell_ee : a relationship based on looks alone won't last. For that matter, neither will the looks. Time, and gravity, tend to do their thing and the fact that it seems it does it much more harshly for women tends to say something nasty about society and our perceptions.

Oh, and as it happens, I seem to have acquired a wife who fits my "personality" requirements perfectly and, in my eyes at least, is gorgeous too. What everybody else thinks of her looks I neither know, nor care.

Soldato
I think looks and personality are more closely linked than people have indicated in this thread. I personally will find myself more attracted physically to a girl if I know them and like their personality. I guess the opposite is also true, you will percieve a girl to have a better personality if she is physically attractive.

Back
Top Bottom