Pluto is a planet!

Wise Guy
Permabanned
asim said:
Make up your mind people!!!

This must be a really good one for game shows. "How many planets are there"..... uhh uhh.
Easy.

Is it an even-numbered week or an odd-numbered one?

Odd numbered? Oh, it must be 8 this week, then.

:D

Man of Honour
Kreeeee said:
What's with posting every article to appear on BBCNews,/Yahoo/CNN?

I don't really mind when news articles are brought in. I just hate it when a glut of similar ones are threaded and don't do anything apart from post count +1/evoke the keyboard warrior within. I'm also not a fan of link and runs./OT

I thought it had to be a planet because it had Charon orbiting it? I don't know I've not studied the planets for ages. Saying that there was this programme on UKTVhistory tonight as far as I can remember.

Associate
Why i believe Pluto is not a planet:

1. It orbits on a completely different plane to the rest of the planets
2. For some of its orbit, it is closer to the sun than Neptune is
3. If's moon is so much larger in proportion to the "planet" itself than any other planet in the solar system
4. More pluto-like objects are being discovered at an alarming rate
5. It is basically just a very very cold rock with even less going on than all other planets.

Also partly because of the fact that it's the only planet America has discovered as mentionned before.

ps. Mindriot - physics student!

Caporegime
My geology degree will be interesting next year. Theres a whole Unit on space and the solar system. :eek: :p

I can see he point of the nay sayers but I think pluto has been classed a planet too long for its status to be taken away. Make it 12 not 9!

Permabanned
Mindriot said:
Why i believe Pluto is not a planet:

3. If's moon is so much larger in proportion to the "planet" itself than any other planet in the solar system
That could just make it a double planet.
cleanbluesky said:
I think we need 13 planets TBH. Or maybe 12, and the sun.
Bear in mind that as more of the sky is surveyed off the ecliptic more KBOs will be found, the predictions for the number of Pluto size KBO's that will be found range from 30 to hundreds. Thats a lot of new planets to learn the names of.
G|mp said:
Hes a dog you dumbass :rolleyes:
:D

Caporegime
Sleepy said:
Bear in mind that as more of the sky is surveyed off the ecliptic more KBOs will be found, the predictions for the number of Pluto size KBO's that will be found range from 30 to hundreds. Thats a lot of new planets to learn the names of.

/70 years time

"In my day there were only 9 planets"

grandkids "GASP" :eek:

:p

Zip

Zip

Soldato
If Pluto does stay demoted then we will need to think of a new saying to remember them :(

Ive come up with: My Very Elderly Mother Jumped Someone Up North :p

Soldato
Zip said:
Ive come up with: My Very Elderly Mother Jumped Someone Up North :p

That's a damned lie son, we were just good friends :p

My thought on Pluto is, if "they" told me red is not a colour or the Pacific is not an ocean, they'd have to have a better reason than it not fitting into one of "their" categories. It's a planet because it's always been described as such and people like it that way.

Back
Top Bottom