Had my bike stolen in 20 mins!

Soldato
Raymond Lin said:
This baby cost £90 and weigh 9Ibs thou.......

kryptonite20new20york20forg2006vh3.jpg

That thing weighs nearly as much as my bike :eek:

Caporegime
Perplexed said:
kryptonite20new20york20forg2006vh3.jpg

If you know what you are doing then you can open these with a biro :eek:
I think there is a video on youtube or similar of it being done.

Hehe beat me to it. :p

Twas fun when that came out, all these people boasting about their brilliant locks then one news article scared the pants off them. :D

If you have an expensive bike datatag it. It only costs £20 (approx) and if yur bike is stolen you can report it missing. Then if your bike is recovered the police can scan it and find out who it belongs too. Not a replacement for a decent lock and insurance but usefull for the price. :)

Soldato
Raymond Lin said:
I remember seeing that, but really can't blame them. Imagine you are going to work, there is this "who could be a complete nutter" holding a hack saw on the street cutting through a chain. Would you confront him ?

I saw that once, except he was cutting through the handlebars for some reason??!?!?!?! must have had a grudge against the owner or something

Suspended
"If you know what you are doing then you can open these with a biro "

That's the older type , with the round key- afaik (I have one). I think that's the newer one.

Soldato
Ouch... hard luck guv! Have never used a combination lock on an expensive bike. Used to crack cylinder combination locks for fun, there is virtually always some play in them so you can work out the code.

Have a Dawes tourer though... and though it's worth a fair bit it's not a common bike and doesn't have lots of fancy suspension etc. Have never had a problem. I just leave it in a bike rank next to lots of bikes that look more attractive to a yob. Job done!

Caporegime
Beren said:
Ouch... hard luck guv! Have never used a combination lock on an expensive bike. Used to crack cylinder combination locks for fun, there is virtually always some play in them so you can work out the code.

Have a Dawes tourer though... and though it's worth a fair bit it's not a common bike and doesn't have lots of fancy suspension etc. Have never had a problem. I just leave it in a bike rank next to lots of bikes that look more attractive to a yob. Job done!

This ? that's pretty nice, where do you lock up your bike again? ;)

5170largela8.jpg

Permabanned
Raymond Lin said:
I remember seeing that, but really can't blame them. Imagine you are going to work, there is this "who could be a complete nutter" holding a hack saw on the street cutting through a chain. Would you confront him ?

I'd be furious. I've had my bike stolen twice, once locked up, the other time mugged by three blokes with golf clubs - that was when I was 12. Now I would take no hesitation in confronting them/******* them up.

DiG

DiG

Associate
Raymond Lin said:

No, but I would phone the police, I wonder if anyone did in the video

Soldato
Amp34 said:
Not necessarily, the best plan for a really expensive bike is to use both a D lock and a cable lock. They cant saw through the D lock and cant jack through a cable lock

But they can saw through the cable and jack the D lock ;)

Soldato
I had my pink and yellow bike stolen from outside the cabin at centerparcs by a group of drunk lads lol!! We were inside the cabin as well, just the girls as the guys were out ghost hunting :rolleyes: lol

Found it the next morning in a Lake!! Good thing it wasnt my bike from before as it was more expensive!!

But i have left my bike outside my house before overnight and its still been there in the morning! Wouldn't do that anymore but hey!:D:p

pax

pax

Associate
CSGAS said:
Just had my bike stolen in a hugely busy place with people sitting around nearby and everything! And nobody saw a thing! To be honest it was my fault for only using 1 lock (as I always 2 big D-locks) thinking "I'll only be 20 mins"... never again!
Damn... I work in NM too, but lucky our bikes get locked up in the security car park.

Where was it locked up?

That online reporting was rubbish when my brother's bike was stolen. He didn't heard from them for ages, and he couldn't even report it through Kingston police station as they are always too busy and directed him to report it online.

Pax

Soldato
D-lock, no wonder. So easy to pick, under 1 minute for someone who probably hasn't a clue..

The Kryptonite looks a lot better, but it looks like its using two sets of pins on the lock which just makes it more time consuming. But even then there are other ways in (Shackle for example).

Edit: I agree with the man in the bike shop, don't even need to know the combination to open it without damaging the lock.

Last edited:
Soldato
Chunky said:
My last bike got nicked 100 yards from our security office.

That aint as bad as mine. A good few years ago (15yrs'ish), my mountain bike got robbed out of my garage. The cheeky blighter walked up my (well, my 'rents drive at the time) drive, into the garage, calmly got on it and rode away.

How come it's so bad you ask?

I lived in a row of 9 police houses, my next door neighbour was in his front garden (policeman of 15yrs!) even said hello to the guy as he walked up the drive. The guy across the road (police sergeant of 15+yrs) waved at the guy as he rode off. My old fella was in the garage with his back turned (policeman of 30+yrs!).

The next door neighbour said he thought it was on e of my mates borrowing the bike, my old fella said he heard the bike going and thought it was me off out for a ride!

:rolleyes:

Just shows what you can get away with if you have got big kahoonas.

Associate
i never leave my bike in a public place.. other than at work but i use a d-clamp and it put it right under the security camera.. plus you need a pass to get in and out the building

Soldato
Over the years I've opened quite a few combination locks for mates & my kids when numbers have been forgotten (or to change the numbers & re-lock to **** *** a mate :)) and I'm not a crook .

They are just generally carp

Back
Top Bottom