Shock - Police refund my speeding fine.

Permabanned
Im totally shocked, and confushed. Just been opening my post and I have the following letter from HMCS.

courtletter.jpg

Bit of background info; I was pulled over in May of this year and apparently was doing 89.02mph, I paid my fine a week or so later over the phone. All done and dusted, my insurance company know about my points, and so do my company for my company car. I didnt complain or contest it at all.

However, I have just received this letter. I'm now really confushed as to what on earth is going on. Can anybody shed any light on this?

Searches don't reveal anything. One thing to note, is that I haven't received my license back yet.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Probably just an admin error, someone forgot to sign something or somesuch. They've got to cover their backs :).

Disclaimer: Could be talking complete crap... for a change :p

Soldato
Make sure you call your insurers and get a full refund from them for the extra points premium.

I would be tempted to ring them to find out why, but on the other hand you dont want to arose suspicion and get them to change their minds again!

Permabanned
OP
Adz said:
Probably just an admin error, someone forgot to sign something or somesuch. They've got to cover their backs :).

Disclaimer: Could be talking complete crap... for a change :p

I hope your right, Im a bit scared :/. Ill find out tommorow when I call them.

Tesla, it doesn't say anything about having the points removed. I guess I'll need to ring the DVLA to find out, if I don't want to risk ringing the police.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
This is court's service, which means they were probably contested by someone and in process found guilty of rouge ticketing or measuring with faulty equipment, hence refund to all "victims"....

Associate
I would be tempted to ring them to find out why, but on the other hand you dont want to arose suspicion and get them to change their minds again!

You can't be tried for the exact same offence again in the UK. Double Jeopardy clause.

Soldato
Vicious said:
not the same really as he was pulled over by a copper, so he wouldnt get it wrong.
Maybe the equipment they was using was out of calibration or something, I couldn't see them handing back money without a reason. Oh, one last thing......A copper is still a human being, they make mistakes too Albeit they don't ever think they do.

Soldato
Well if they have refunded your fine I would want the points removed as well. Surely there must be some doubt if they are issuing refunds from a cash machine.

Permabanned
Pinter75 said:
You can't be tried for the exact same offence again in the UK. Double Jeopardy clause.

Actually, you can, in a round about way. They can re-try for the same offence if another offence has been comitted within a 'conditional' period, usually 12 months of the first offence.

EDIT: Awaits postman with my £240 and 9 point reversal...... :o

Back
Top Bottom