Coffee.....Boiling water or warm water?????

Caporegime
I wanted a mug of coffee, so I put the coffee and sugar in the mug and turned the kettle on and went away while it boiled.
I came back 15 mins later, thinking I woulld have to re-boil the kettle as it had probably cooled down somewhat.

When I got to the kettle I saw a collegue pouring out his mug of tea and he asked if I wanted water in mine, so I said yes thanks, thinking he must have already re-boiled the kettle.
After taking a couple of sips I thought, this tastes so much better than usual, and is obviously cooler than I would normally have it, so I asked if he had re-boiled the kettle, to which he said no, just poured it out as it seemed hot enough.

So does it taste better because the water was only warm instead of just off boiling like I normally make my coffee, or is it just my imagination???

Associate
It is true that coffee tastes better with water that is just cooler of boiling,

Water temperature should be near boiling (196° - 204°). Bring your water to a boil, remove it from the heat, and let it sit for a minute before pouring it through the grinds.

Associate
For instant coffee, I've found that it doesn't really matter what temperature the water is when you put it in, if you don't like scorching your lips and tongue, just wait for it to cool down.

However, for filter coffee, very close or boiling water will bun the ground coffee beans and taste will be impaired. 90 degrees seems right, which is about 30-1 minute after the kettles stopped boiling.

Caporegime
OP
Acliff said:
For instant coffee, I've found that it doesn't really matter what temperature the water is when you put it in, if you don't like scorching your lips and tongue, just wait for it to cool down.

This was instant, Tesco's finest, and that is how I usually drink it, often get my wife saying I must have an asbestos mouth, as I have usually finished my coffee before she has even started to drink hers when they were both made at the same time.

Last edited:
Associate
Entai said:
This was instant, Tesco's finest, and that is how I usually drink it, often get my wife saying I must have an asbestos mouth, as I have usually finished my coffee before she has even started to drink hers when they were both made at the same time.

When in a hurry I do the same, but I found that for me, its not the best way of drinking coffee. And I dislike the feeling of the inside layer of my mouth peeling off.

Soldato
Elston said:
Is'nt it something to do with boiling water 'burning' the coffee?
Thats what I've been told too.

We used to have one of those water dispenser things with the bottle ontop. When they sent someone out to fix it I asked if he could make the water hotter because it wasn't much good for making tea and he claimed the thermostat didn't go to boiling because it was for coffee making so I guess it's probably right. :confused:

Caporegime
OP
Treefrog said:
Hehe - snap. Although my ex had asbestos hands to make up for it.

I have got asbestos hands as well, apperently, it goes with 10 years as a car mechanic in a dealership I guess

Caporegime
Entai said:
I wanted a mug of coffee, so I put the coffee and sugar in the mug and turned the kettle on and went away while it boiled.
I came back 15 mins later, thinking I woulld have to re-boil the kettle as it had probably cooled down somewhat.

When I got to the kettle I saw a collegue pouring out his mug of tea and he asked if I wanted water in mine, so I said yes thanks, thinking he must have already re-boiled the kettle.
After taking a couple of sips I thought, this tastes so much better than usual, and is obviously cooler than I would normally have it, so I asked if he had re-boiled the kettle, to which he said no, just poured it out as it seemed hot enough.

So does it taste better because the water was only warm instead of just off boiling like I normally make my coffee, or is it just my imagination???

Didn't think you was serious about forgetting caffeine in the morning, good job i said! :D

And yep not quite boiling water makes a better brew :)

Associate
Elston said:
Is'nt it something to do with boiling water 'burning' the coffee?

Yup that's what I've always been told.

[edit] Boil it to kill of the nasties, then let it cool a bit [/edit]

Caporegime
OP
Firestar_3x said:
Didn't think you was serious about forgetting caffeine in the morning, good job i said! :D

And yep not quite boiling water makes a better brew :)

Told you I was not awake at that time of the morning :D See if I can remember to use not quite boiling water by tomorrow morning.

P.S. just to annoy, only one more hour till time to go home:D :p

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The_blue said:
boiling water leaches the bitter oils from ground coffee, instant just tastes the same.

I've read that a few times in this thread, but this was instant coffee and it certainly did taste very different, so I guess you must be able to "burn" instant as well as proper grounds.

Anyways thanks for all the replies guys.

Back
Top Bottom