DS3 vs DS4

Associate
to be honest if u need firewire then yes but if not then no. theNB will run very happy on the DS3, abit a little hotter.

Ill be water cooling next month so i just went with the DS3 and wack a chipset water block if really needed

Associate
OP
Hm. I use fw for my Ipod, but I *think* I have a firewire add-in card lurking somewhere...

Slightly better cooling...

hmm...still undecided...

Soldato
I will need to get the DS4, only because i've been told that that board will work with the core 2 duo without a BIOS upgrade.

I don't have any other SKT 775 chips to upgrade the BIOS for core 2 duo.

bee

bee

Associate
djkav said:
I will need to get the DS4, only because i've been told that that board will work with the core 2 duo without a BIOS upgrade.

im afraid you've been told wrong , the ds3 will work with all core 2 duo cpus without any bios update.

Associate
OP
iViper said:
Dont forget the extra PCI-E slot folks.

What is that actually for, since the board doesn't appear to support SLi. Does it support crossfire? I've read that the second slot is 4x and not 16x?

Is there no clocking/speed advantage over the DS3?

Soldato
djkav said:

Just a little warning - The F2 Bios on the DS4 is terrible. Didn't let me clock over 300FSB.

As soon as I upgraded to the F3 version - I was running at 400+

Associate
I'd say get the DS4, has some nice features which the DS3 doesnt have. I just received mine today. Installed it and it''s formatting my 2 160gb hdds now so I can install windows :) Just make sure you get compatible ram and you're fine.

Associate
OP
Indeed it does...I got the DS4 in the end. Last night I put the memory (Geil pc6400 ultra) up to its rated 800mhz and it stopped posting, kept trying and failing to auto-recover the bios. However, all I had to do was power it up while holding in the reset button (I'm indebted to the person who mentioned this trick), it would then post, but it would be unstable, just had to go into the bios and up the memory voltage to the rated 2.1 and it seems fine (though I haven't stressed it yet, ran out of awake time)

Soldato
As a note - please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)
The DS4 in the BIOS doesn't actually display the "actual memory voltage" you are running, rather the "Relative voltage".
So by default it will be showing +/- 0v

The default voltage for this board appears to be 1.8v, so for the Geil you will want to make the setting +0.3v.
This is 0.3v over the default of 1.8v giving you the 2.1v the Geil wants.
Thankfully the Geil will boot at 1.8v - so you can get into the BIOS and make that change.
Some other brands hate 1.8v and this is where the whole "My DS4 refuses to boot" issue comes from.

Don
stoofa said:
As a note - please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)
The DS4 in the BIOS doesn't actually display the "actual memory voltage" you are running, rather the "Relative voltage".
So by default it will be showing +/- 0v

The default voltage for this board appears to be 1.8v, so for the Geil you will want to make the setting +0.3v.
This is 0.3v over the default of 1.8v giving you the 2.1v the Geil wants.
Thankfully the Geil will boot at 1.8v - so you can get into the BIOS and make that change.
Some other brands hate 1.8v and this is where the whole "My DS4 refuses to boot" issue comes from.

That is correct but if you install the gigebyte software in windows you should be able to get the totaly voltage

Stelly

Raj

Raj

Associate
Help, i just got the DS4, but i dont seem to have any cable to attach USB ports or Firewire ports ont he case? im lost as what to do as i though they should come with the motherboard?

Back
Top Bottom