• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Athlon XP - forced obsoletion?

Associate
I have noticed that some software requires SSE2 now - Adobe Premiere 2.0 being an obvious example. It seems probable that more and more programs will require these newer instruction sets, obviously this means that chips like my Athlon XP-M 2500 will become junk quite soon. Is this likely? Will I just have to bite the bullet and upgrade prematurely?

Granted the 2500 was cheap when I got it and also definitely an aging platform... but still, P4s have had SSE2 for ages. Intel next time thank you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well the 2500 has been dated for awhile.

But to me, obsolete is a relative term...it depends on what you need your computer to do...if you need to run programs with sse2 instruction sets then yeah your puter is obsolete and it's time to upgrade.

Soldato
lol!

Just because your chip doesn't have SSE2 when Intel did means you go intel exnt time is laugable.

If you chose your platform for that then you sir are a fool.

Technology moves on, could I say the same about intel being later with 64 bit instructions?

Soldato
here is what my opteron supports:

opteron4.png

all sse 1, 2 and 3

Back
Top Bottom