Nokia N73 - Symbian Signed

Associate
Hello,

I have a nokia n73 from vodafone, I went to install a .sis file but it was not allowed so I went to remove the symbian signed for feature in the application manager and I could not set it to "all".

Have all the networks started locking this?

Any one else had this problem?

Thanks

Associate
Symbian Signed is a mandatory part of Symbian 9 (which the N73 of course runs under the S60v3 GUI).
I believe Nokia phones allow you to switch off the warning messages for unsigned apps, but there will always be protected API's within the OS which cannot be accessed unless an app is Symbian Signed. Symbian Signed unfortunately cannot be switched off completely.

In addition there can be operator locks (ie forcing apps to be operator approved) and the additional "Nokia OK" certification.

Soldato
its like java signing, most apps should be okay - but they will have to be signed to get certain security permissions, else they won't work properly

Associate
Symbian Signed is an integral part of the Symbian OS. There is NO WAY to turn it off completely. It doesn't even matter if your phone is unbranded or an operator variant - Symbian Signed will still be there.
If an application requires access to certain restricted OS API's it will NEED to be Symbian Signed before it can be installed and will run.

There are however a number of different types of signing in addition to potentially confusing options on devices to do with signing.

1. Symbian Signed (and also Nokia OK which was really Symbian Signed's precursor) - mandatory if using certain OS features. Cannot be disabled under any circumstances.

2. Operator Signing - apps need to be signed/approved by operators. A classic example of this was the Moto A920 UIQ devices on 3 which were app-locked to only allow 3 approved applications.

S60 devices have an option (switched on by default) which basically prevents installation of ANY unsigned applications. You can switch this option off, but it does not switch off Symbian Signed signing requirements. By switching the option to allow all apps to be installed you will be able to install any signed applications, and any unsigned applications which do not require Symbian Signing. It is possible in some operator variants for them to lock down this option to require all apps to be signed.

Fortunately most apps & games can get around the Symbian Signed requirement simply by where possible using non restricted APIs, but most online software stores make Symbian Signed a mandatory requirement to getting your software listed even if the software itself does not need to be signed.

Associate
OP
fdxd said:
Just turn it off. Its not hard.

That's a really useful post :rolleyes: , as obviously I had already stated id tried to turn it off and it wouldn't allow it.

Anyway it's fixed now, it was the vodafone firmware that had messed up and was stopping a new icons being selected.

Associate
Strikeforce said:
That's a really useful post :rolleyes: , as obviously I had already stated id tried to turn it off and it wouldn't allow it.

Anyway it's fixed now, it was the vodafone firmware that had messed up and was stopping a new icons being selected.

Firmware doesnt just mess up and get ok again. Messed up firmware means your phone wont ever start up, aka Paperweight. :)

You probably went into individual certificates at first of which many dont give the option. Now you will be able to install anything.

Associate
OP
fdxd said:
Firmware doesnt just mess up and get ok again. Messed up firmware means your phone wont ever start up, aka Paperweight. :)

You probably went into individual certificates at first of which many dont give the option. Now you will be able to install anything.

Thats funnys as it was some of the vodafone software which was installed with the firmware that was causing it.

Back
Top Bottom