cheap server

Man of Honour
If you want a cheap server then most likely it'll sit near-idle most of the time and you could make do with a Virtual Dedicated Server, aka VDS or VPS (Private.) On a proper VDS you'll get full root access and, essentially, the machine is exactly equal to a dedicated server. You just can't fiddle with the kernel. So you have all the flexibility, etc.

Multiple VDSs are squeezed into one physical server, so for example you can purchase a VDS with say 256Mb RAM, 20Gb disk space, etc. They're really good if you just need the flexibility but not all the power, and price is important.

They're also normally hosted on top-end hardware so you should get decent performance :)

We use 2host.co.uk who start at around £19.99/mo + VAT. Pretty darn good value for money if you ask me :)

Permabanned
OP
Beansprout said:
If you want a cheap server then most likely it'll sit near-idle most of the time and you could make do with a Virtual Dedicated Server, aka VDS or VPS (Private.) On a proper VDS you'll get full root access and, essentially, the machine is exactly equal to a dedicated server. You just can't fiddle with the kernel. So you have all the flexibility, etc.

Multiple VDSs are squeezed into one physical server, so for example you can purchase a VDS with say 256Mb RAM, 20Gb disk space, etc. They're really good if you just need the flexibility but not all the power, and price is important.

They're also normally hosted on top-end hardware so you should get decent performance :)

We use 2host.co.uk who start at around £19.99/mo + VAT. Pretty darn good value for money if you ask me :)

i called 2host and one of their sales reps quoted me the same deal but for £29.99 ex vat!

daz

daz

Soldato
the_box said:
i called 2host and one of their sales reps quoted me the same deal but for £29.99 ex vat!

128MB RAM without cPanel/WHM *might* be available for £19.99/month, but £29.99/month for 256MB, 20GB hard disk space and the cPanel/WHM licence is the going rate.

Man of Honour
the_box said:
Sorry, I was blurting out unrelated examples :)

128Mb, 10Gb disk, 100Gb and possibly cPanel for £19.99/mo + VAT, but I bought one a while ago so it might be outdated (huge Redbus pricing increases :( ) :)

Permabanned
OP
Beansprout said:
Sorry, I was blurting out unrelated examples :)

128Mb, 10Gb disk, 100Gb and possibly cPanel for £19.99/mo + VAT, but I bought one a while ago so it might be outdated (huge Redbus pricing increases :( ) :)
dont worry!

now its a question of a server or a vps ill have to decide over the weekend and then go for it on monday! although the vps route is looking more tempting.

Associate
What are you looking to use the server for? I have a dedicated box that is going virtually unused. I just use it to test some scripts for a project I'm working on and host some webpages. I might consider letting someone share the server to help reduce the costs as I'm a poor computer science student. email me if you're interested. I need to know what server applications you need to run and what your diskspace/bandwidth requirements are. server runs ubuntu linux :)

Adz

Adz

Soldato
I think it's more that they want to segregate their higher end IP transit/rackspace products from their dedicated/low end co-lo products so as not to compete with their core client base (people who buy their cheap transit and use it to sell cheap servers).

They also appear to be having a rather severe network outage at the moment :).

Soldato
celliott said:
I would highly reccomend either of the following:

www.a2b2.com - UK/USA VPS, dont be put off by the site. Run by a guy with many years experience in the industry and uptime/price is excellent.

OR

www.49pence.com - UK Dedicated servers, all dell hardware and great pricing.

i would agree Rus is very good when it comes to VPS, 49 pence tho, we've had a lot of their customers come to us since, from what they say they put their prices up after the first month or so, whether or not this is true i don't know

It would be quite interesting to know how many people here actually work for or run their own hosting company, :D

Sic

Sic

Soldato
yeah, you'd have liked to have been in my office yesterday - their customer services phone number was....busy. everyone was going nuts! i had headphones on though :D

Sic

Sic

Soldato
apparently absolutely everything went down. afaik they didn't lose anything, but all of our websites with them went down.

Adz

Adz

Soldato
I understand (second hand) that a breaker was tripped which took out their router(s) causing them to drop completely off of the net (we weren't seeing their prefixes at all from any of our upstreams).

Man of Honour
uk_viper said:
49 pence tho, we've had a lot of their customers come to us since, from what they say they put their prices up after the first month or so, whether or not this is true i don't know
Either way it's neither good or bad...in the uber-budget sector that will always happen, and I'd guess 49pence are just having to increase prices in line with the huge datacentre price increases, like pretty much everyone else is - I expect the company you work for (P...) doesn't have that issue so much so you have an advantage there :cool:

Back
Top Bottom