nurburgring car wanted

Associate
Lopéz said:
Can you get Nissan 200SX's on the continent?

The Belgium and German owners I spoke to last month indicated that whilst s13's are very comon, S14's are the opposite. The American airbase guys were running running fairly heavily modded S13's and an import silvia, though they were drift scene/import scene people not really interested in the ring I think. You could get a very good modded S13 for 3K but I'm not sure this would be a good option if you are non mechanically minded - maybe I'm making an assumption here?

The locals favour german cars for obvious reasons, but I heard that there was a tendancy for many of them to run their diesels to save on fuel costs. I guess a season ring ticket is pretty cheap so fuel then becomes more of an issue. Not many diesels I'd consider on a 3K budget though.

For me used to track day fuel comsumption, the ring was suprisingly good on fuel. But like people here have posted before, you dont drive the ring like you do on track. Or not unless you are a good driver who knows his cars limits well and has the confidence. I didnt dare late brake like on track after I'd spun. I didnt really feel the need to, though, in the dry. I was going fast enough. Mortality loomed each time I went faster than I quite frankly used too.

That said, the underpowered cars mentioned so far wouldnt interest me in the slightest. I hit 130mph in at least 3 spots and over 120mph up the hill without pushing my car to the limit so I'd personally rule them out. I think they would struggle with the average track speed so high - but I'm guessing.

And whilst I've no doubt which would be the fastest in a skilled drivers hands, perhaps the sure footedness of the gto would be quicker for an ameture like me? You'd need to modify the supension as I hear they are poor as standard, though I suspect you would need to modify the supension on every single car that gets mentioned here.

Perhaps a fwd compromise would be in order if 3K is the upper budget? Honda Prelude or Honda crx? Mr2 Turbo has to be a consideration - possibly be cramped coming from the UK, but if you were local?

Zip

Zip

Soldato
dsb said:
well just been on autotrader ill take what i say about the bmw, erm looking on german sites now. i wonder how much weight it can lose with all the leather gone and all the other crap.

Quite a lot if its any thing like the 70s BMW, They look big and heavy but they are actually lighter then some small sports cars :D

Im noit sure what the E30 weighs though

Soldato
I took my chipped Skoda Fabia vRS there two weeks ago and I reckon a small car with a huge diesel is the way to go. a chipped Golf TDI 150 perhaps?Also - has anybody else tried the 5km of road up and down the valley side that a TomTom Go takes you on to get to the 'ring? I honestly think it was more fun than the 'ring itself and the large number of bikers (like me, they were doing it again and again - for free!) seemed to indicate I'm right. It's about 5km long and it's a detour off the main road. If you do it right it's a good bit quicker than taking the main road that runs along the valley floor.

Soldato
stripped out E30 325 or E25 328 as mentioned already IMO.

NOT a hot hatch and NOT a diesel! this is a high speed racing track. the uphills will make most things feels gutless. if you are aiming for around 9 minutes then that means you will be averaging almost 90mph. :)

Caporegime
As Tom has said, the amount of small cars you see having serious problems getting up some of the hills is a joke, you see loads of striped out 325's i would go down that route tbh, easy to find bits, cheap to fix, good Rwd fun.

I spotted more BMW's than anything else during the 5 days at the ring, M3's are 10 a penny and CSL's are as common as M3's are over ere, didn't see that many s13 or s14's.

Anyways get something with a proper engine.

Soldato
Vicious said:
how about a 106 gti, slightly cheaper insurance than a vts

Not in my experiance it isn't. Sure, the 106 is IG13 instead of the VTS' IG14, but for some reason I always got quotes a couple of hundred quid more expensive for the GTi.

Anyway, even if insurance did turn out to be slightly lower, this is offset due to the fact that the GTis are more expensive to buy in the first place.

Associate
I was outrun by a local in a Seat Ibiza diesel. When I spoke to him later I should have asked him what power it was running but I dont think I'd have liked the answer. Sure it was throwing it down and I was a lot faster in the dry, but I think a diesel chipped etc with >150bhp and the usual suspension mods could be quite good to learn the track with.

Associate
Depends on how much you want to spend, but for a decent price you can find a really good BMW E30/36 but it MUST have a six cylinder engine :D

Thinking about it, buy a german car. its a german road/track so a german car :D

Albeit it with a bit more money you can find better examples and bigger engines etc.

Most of all be SAFE, make sure you get it back in one piece aswell as yourself.

Cheers :)

Soldato
County said:
Depends on how much you want to spend, but for a decent price you can find a really good BMW E30/36 but it MUST have a six cylinder engine :D

e30 M3, e30 318is or even the contiental 320is no good :confused:

Associate
Sone said:
e30 M3, e30 318is or even the contiental 320is no good :confused:

Although the E30 M3 is four cylinders you will be hard pushed to find a decent one knocking around without spending too much money.Also never released over here in RHD. You will notice i posted that it all depends on BUDGET :D

Not really knowledgeable on the E30 318iS although to find an unmoloested example will be hard to find again at a decent price, as i said before in the post all depends on budget.

And as for finding a 320is :p .

Oh, don't talk crap.

Dont you think a better response would have been like the one posted by Sone?

Cheers :)

Man of Honour
Lashout_UK said:
318iS.

Next question? :D

158-bigthumbnail.jpg

A la. Lovely 16 valve 130bhp motors, excellent cars. Real drivers machines! :)

325's are good but the petrol costs could cripple you if you were driving there and back. Few hundred quid for fuel. Each way. (probably :D )

Another shape BMW I like.

Damn !

Back
Top Bottom