• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU = 90'c in Bios :O

axe

axe

Suspended
hey i have a presler 930 just set my system up and check in bios and its at like 87 - 91 just in bios i am using the stock cooler which is at 2500rpm and unable to change in bios. Also i have no artic silver ( as i dont have any ) but surely this will not caus it to be soooo high?

What should i be getting at stock with a stock cooler.

Soldato
CPU will naturaly be hotter in bios, but mate, that cpu esspecialy - NEEDS thermal interface compound between the heatsink and the cpu surface, heat transfer thru the tiny air gap between the cpu surface and the heatsink will be awful, until you get any semi - decent thermal paste please please do not turn on the computer again, running that hot only has the potential to damage the cpu mate

My mate had same issue with the normal stuff you get on the bottom of the stock cooler, clean and replace, and reseat the heatsink properly and you should be fine mate

Last edited:

axe

axe

Suspended
OP
Trill said:
I don't understand why you didn't apply it when you installed. You get an ample amount supplied with the retail package.

i have lost it i brought this about 4months ago just never got round to building it as i seem to get a new pc every month :eek:

axe

axe

Suspended
OP
Trill said:
Yet, you thought 87-91 without paste was high... with all that build experience.

my amd64 system did not have paste on and this was running fine and never over heated . I know that it is not a Neccesity for a chip but it does help keep the chip cool by reducing the air between them.

Last edited:
Associate
+

Your are correct there. But it would seem that if your CPU is reaching such a high temp, then it is crying out for a compound. To assume that it will function fine without, is a gamble i would'nt want to take.

Too much thermal compound on the other hand can actually have a negative effect as it stores the heat making the system hotter than it needs to be. It isn't 100% necessary but in the right quantities and applied in the right way does have a beneficial effect.

Trill

Soldato
BillytheImpaler said:
You're rather lucky it's a late-model Intel. Were it an older chip it would not have thermal throttling and it would have probably gone the way of the dodo by now.

Throttling for PIV cpus has been around since the Willamette core.

As for cpus not needing thermal interface, you're right, if the aim is a high temperature, throttling unstable box or eventual dead cpu.

Lan

Lan

Associate
axe said:
my amd64 system did not have paste on and this was running fine and never over heated . I know that it is not a Neccesity for a chip but it does help keep the chip cool by reducing the air between them.

you need help....

Back
Top Bottom